Need help upgrading my RAM for Presario 2100

robolist 13:56 12 Aug 10

Hi there people,

I would very much appreciate it I someone can help me. I have antique laptop which is the Compaq Presario 2100. I have to use it for now as my last one was stolen, so I am stuck with it for the time being. Anyway I really need some advice about upgrading it, I have tried asking in the shops but its not easy because I am now currently living in Phuket, Thailand and I am English and don’t speak Thai.

I currently have 2 x 256MB RAM and I am on the verge of throwing out of the window because it is slower than a granny who needs a hip replacement.

I have been told that I can ONLY upgrade it to 2 x 512MB RAM… Is this the truth? Can I not put 1 x 1GB in one slot and keep 1 x 256MB in the other?

Also I have found several different RAM pieces which differ in price quite considerably. For example one 1 x 1GB was selling at 900THB and another was selling at 1800THB. I don’t want to be ripped off so please can you tell me the exact brands and model numbers that will go into my laptop? I would be very grateful for any advice on this matter and will be happy to buy anyone a drink if they are ever on holiday in Phuket in exchange for this advice.

While I am here I might as well ask the other questions I have regarding this hunk of junk laptop. How can I upgrade the USB from 1.0 to 2.0? also there seems to be another slot for something on the bottom. Is this to insert a wifi card?

Many thanks in advance guys.

Kind regards,
Rob

VoG II 14:03 12 Aug 10

Try the scanner or Advisor click here

northumbria61 14:19 12 Aug 10

You can also try this - click here

keef66 16:04 12 Aug 10

If the motherboard is USB 1.0 you can't upgrade the built-in ports. If it has a card slot you could get a USB 2.0 card to give you a couple of extra, faster ports (as long as the operating system is Win XP SP2 or better).

If there's a slot on the bottom, I think it's likely to be a connector for a docking station. Card slots are usually round the sides.

keef66 16:12 12 Aug 10

According to the Crucial site it's a max of 512mb per slot, and a stick of 512mb costs just short of £30, so £60 to upgrade the whole thing to 1gb. Sounds a lot to spend on an old lappy

To put that into perspective I have a colleague who's son is selling 2 new celeron based / vista laptops for £225 a pop.

keef66 16:16 12 Aug 10

details from the crucial site to compare with yr local options

Module Size: 512MB
Package: 200-pin SODIMM
Feature: DDR PC2700
Specs: DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V •

robolist 04:58 13 Aug 10

Hey guys thanks so much for all your replies... You have been a great help...

It is however very annoying that I can't upgrade to 1GB or even 2GB... Do you know what will happen if i did put a 1GB card in? woulld it fry my laptop?

keef66 16:04 16 Aug 10

Either it won't work at all or it won't recognise half of the RAM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…