Need help with upgrades - thanks!

tommypepper 21:41 24 Mar 09

Hi all

This is my first post, just wanna say thanks in advance to any help anyone can offer, it is appreciated.

I'm looking to upgrade my PC, add a new graphics card, maybe some more RAM - basically looking to make it run faster, mainly for playing games, using photo software, internet and multi-tasking. I'm a bit of a PC dunce but have added a few components over the years so am happy to do the install myself...price-wise I'm looking to spend about £100-£150, maybe a little more. What things should I get? I know that sounds a little vague but I'll copy the current PC specs below, and basically I'm just looking for a fast, smooth machine, and not altogether too sure where to begin! The computer isn't too bad, but I'm sure it could be faster and does tend to hang up a bit sometimes. I also added a new hard-drive recently, going for a WD from a Seagate, and I've noticed the computer now runs slighlty slower...is this normal or have I done something wrong in the installation? Anyway, here's the specs -

System Summary >>>

> Mainboard : Unspecified RS/RX482SB400

> Chipset : ATI RS482

> Processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ @ 2000 MHz

> Physical Memory : 1024 MB (2 x 512 DDR-SDRAM )

> Video Card : Radeon X1300 Series

> Hard Disk : WDC (320 GB)

> DVD-Rom Drive : SONY DVD RW DRU-190A

> DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8164B

> Monitor Type : GNR MONITOR - 17 inches

> Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RT8139 (A/B/C/810x/813x/C+) Fast Ethernet Adapter

> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3

> DirectX : Version 9.0c

>> Mainboard Upgradeability
Socket/Slot : Socket 939
Upgrade interface : Socket 939
Supported Speed : 3000 MHz (or more)
Supported Voltage : 1.3V

> Frequency : 2000 MHz

>> General Information
Performance Rating : PR-3800 (estimated)
Real Frequency : 1999.8 MHz
Multiplier : 10x
Startup/Max Multiplier : 10x / 10x

>> Frequency Control
Core #1 : 1999.80 MHz
Core #2 : 1999.80 MHz

...so I'm guessing the RAM is a bit light and the graphics card could be better - has anyone got any suggestions? I also kind of wanna stay with XP as I've heard bad things about Vista but I'm not too sure...

If I need to give any more info of course I will and I really do appreciate people taking time out to help me here. Cheers!

2bathred 21:48 24 Mar 09

More memory and a decent graphics card would use up your budget. Make sure the PSU is up to mark for the graphics.

tommypepper 21:58 24 Mar 09

Thanks - I don't want to sound stupid, but how do I check that?! What factors do I need to look for, and where can I find them?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced