Need Help Unistalling XP Pro

crazycam 10:16 03 Feb 09

I need some assistance in uninstalling Windows XP Pro. Have just had a pc built for me and the version that's on it at the moment is an unlicensed copy installed by an idiot mate of mine last week. I have bought a legitimate copy and now want to completely uninstall his copy and put the fully licensed 32 bit version on.

I am a complete novice but want to learn as much as I can, so can anyone give me some guidance on how to go about doing this.

I am unsure about how much I will have to reinstall along with the OS (drivers etc) and without advice I know very little about the BIOS.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

CCam

^wave^ 10:20 03 Feb 09

you could just format the disk and when it boots from your xp disk it will install the os for you

crazycam 10:29 03 Feb 09

Will I lose all the program files? These can't be stored on the other hard drive then copied back over I take it?

LinH 10:32 03 Feb 09

Just put your XP cd in the cd player and when it runs follow the onscreen instructions. I stand to be corrected but I think you get the option to reformat the hard drive, if so do it and from then on the new installation should be virtually automatic.

LiH

Strawballs 10:35 03 Feb 09

When the coputer is booting it will tell you (very quickly) which key to enter bios, usually del to enter setup or press F? to change boot order then find and change boot order to boot from cd rom to first then boot with your XP CD in the drive and follow instructions.

Taff™ 10:36 03 Feb 09

Hold fire! You will lose all your data and the installed programs, you will have to find all the drivers - there is another way. If you have bought a copy of XP Pro with a license key you can simply change the key but it must be an XP Pro Key. The same as the OS installed. Can you confirm?

crazycam 10:41 03 Feb 09

does reformatting the hard drive involve wiping the data stored on the disc eg saved game data

LinH 10:42 03 Feb 09

Also......

You should not need to go into the BIOS where an installation is concerned. As regards drivers, you should have a driver disk that references the motherboard supplied with your build, but in any case XP should install the necessary drivers to get you going

LinH

crazycam 10:46 03 Feb 09

The os to be installed will be xp pro service pack 3, the os that was installed in the first place was an older version (2002 service pack 2).

The new version has a license key.

Strawballs 10:48 03 Feb 09

Yes you will loose all data and the new version should come with a new key.

Taff™ 10:51 03 Feb 09

OK I think this will work. click here and scroll down to Key Update Tool. Note the warning. The tool comes from Microsoft and I have used it myself several times in this situation but never with SP3. Don`t think you have anything to lose by trying it first. If it doesn`t work I would then try contacting Microsoft by telephone and asking their advice. If all else fails we`ll help you rebuild from scratch!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…