Need Help With Purchasing A New Computer Please.

Big L 266 17:54 23 Jan 09

Hello.

The new computer I purchased 3 weeks ago is going back on Monday for a full refund as it is 'unfit for purpose'. This leaves me needing help and advice with purchasing a new computer and pheripherals.

I have set myself a budget of around £1000. I am looking for a tower based computer system which is going to be largly used for music and not gaming. My main music collecting eras are 50s,60s and 70s cds,and have downloaded legal classical music and some pop music albums from the internet and have 'ripped' all 36,000 tracks in WMA at 192kbps to 320kbps and amounts to 163Gb of space. What would you recommend as a complete future-proof new computer system please?

I will also be purchasing a Creative soundcard but cannot decide yet on which one. This will ulitmately be the default soundcard for use with small computer speakers, Sennnheiser HD25SP headphones, and for relaying to my Arcam amp into my Mission speakers (the latter two bought in 1995). Which Creative soundcard would you recommend for high quality sound reproduction in all three modes of playback?

Additionally,I am interested in the purchase of an onboard Freeview TV system.What kind of TV soundcard would you be recommend to get some or all Freeview tv stations on?

I thank you very much for your kind help, recommendations and suggestions and look forward to your replies.

woodchip 18:18 23 Jan 09

Check out the Medion at Aldi, three year warranty

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:30 23 Jan 09

Medion everytime..no competition.

G

woodchip 18:46 23 Jan 09

Just been in having a look at the Netbook at just over £272 XP Home 160Gig drive load of Corel Software. it beat's all that I have been looking at

citadel 19:02 23 Jan 09

sound card, one of the x-fi range.

Big L 266 21:38 23 Jan 09

Thanks Woodchip, Gandalf & Citadel for your suggestion.Aldi and Medion is the last place I would've thought of.Nonetheless,the following system is available from Medion website direct at £449.00 and wonder what you think of this please? It seems very good value for money to me but may I please ask you for your opinions? Thank you.

Medion Electronics
PC System P6867 with 22"TFT Monitor
Genuine Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium, Intel® Pentium® Dual- Core Processor E2180,3GB RAM, 320GB HDD and 22" TFT widescreen monitor

Genuine Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition
Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core Processor E2180
Processor Speed: 2.0GHz
1MB L2 Cache with 800MHz FSB
3GB DDR2-SDRAM
320GB Hard Drive Disk
7200rpm, Interface Serial ATA
Dual Layer DVD Re-writer
Max: 10x DVD+R9 (DL), 10x DVD-R9 (DL), 20x DVD+R, 20x DVD-R, 8x DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 48x CD-R, 32x CD-RW, 5x DVD-RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600GS
PCI-Express Graphics card with 256MB, DVI-I (including D-SUB VGA adapter), HDMI (HDCP support) and TV-out
Network Controller Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 MBit/s on board
Integrated Memory Card Reader
EEE 1394 Firewire
8 Channel Audio
PS/2 keyboard and optical mouse
Monitor

22" widescreen LCD-TFT monitor
Maximum resolution 1680 x 1050 px
Visible screen diagonal 56cm
Viewing angle (CR>10) typ. horizontal = 178 degrees / vertical 178 degrees
Contrast typ. = 1000:1
Brightness typ. = 300 cd/m2
Response time typ. = 5 ms
Two built in speakers
OSD (on screen display)
Integrated power supply (AC 100-240V - 50-60Hz)
Cables included:
1x power cord
1x 15-pin sub-d connection cable
1x audio cable
1x DVI cable
Connections

I presume a Creative Soundcard and TV station receiver card could be added at a later date?

Thank you.

woodchip 22:44 23 Jan 09

The one coming into the store as a Hard Drive twice that size everything except a Monitor but that leaves you to be able to buy one that suits your needs. You need to look in the store. It was on a Poster in the windows so I do not know when its on offer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos