Need help with possible CPU failure

Hello all.

First, the back story. About 4 months ago I upgraded my video card and PSU and this worked fine until last week when my computer just died and wouldn't power up. After reading around on the internet, I deduced that the PSU I bought probably wasn't powerful enough so I bought a new one.

Now, the computer powers up but won't boot up and I get a beep code that seems to mean processor overheating. My guess is that the new PSU is giving the processor too much power and it's overloading. I would be grateful if anyone could confirm or deny this, and hopefully offer some advice.

PC specs (from memory, so may not be 100% right)
CPU: 1.8 intel core 2 duo
Graphics: nVidia 9600GT
RAM: 2GB DDR2
PSU: 750W
Motherboard unknown, but is 2 or 3 years old

Hope this is enough information, it's all I can think of without being able to get on my pc to check

MAJ 18:19 18 Feb 10

"My guess is that the new PSU is giving the processor too much power and it's overloading."

That's not likely, your BIOS settings will determine the processors voltage.

"I get a beep code that seems to mean processor overheating."

Assuming that you've got that correct, try a new CPU fan, your's might be failing, also make sure all vents, fans and case internals are clear of accumulated dust and fluff. If there are any case fans fitted, ensure they are running properly.

I can't get onto BIOS settings, the computer just powers up and beeps, doesn't connect to monitor

I've cleaned out all the dust and checked the fan which seems to be working ok

MAJ 18:31 18 Feb 10

"doesn't connect to monitor"

I would suspect your graphics card, the monitor's cable, or the monitor in that case, Mister Luke.

Ok. Later I'll have a look at the graphics card and monitor, thanks for your advice.

DieSse 00:31 19 Feb 10

"My guess is that the new PSU is giving the processor too much power and it's overloading."

That's more then unlikely, it's impossible. The PSU doesn't give the processor power - the processor takes the power it needs - no more, no less. Unless you mess with the BIOS settings for the processor voltage.

You say the beeps "seem to mean processor overheating" - but what are the beeps? - and what BIOS do you have? There are lots of beep codes.

The two most likely things are

A bad connection - you've disturbed something when inside the system. Try reseating the RAM, and the processor.

Something's failed. You'll need to check item by item.

But the actual beep codes may give a clue as to what.

The beep code is a long beep (5 seconds), then one second pause and repeat. I don't know what BIOS I have (I can't check because I can't get my computer on).
I used this site click here to try and find the beep code and the closest I could find was the last code in the awardBIOS section, but I'm not sure that's the exact code I was hearing.

MAJ 10:04 19 Feb 10

What is the make and model of your PC and of your motherboard, Mister Luke?

Have you tried DieSse's advice about reseating memory and cards? Also while doing that, check all the connections from the PSU, make sure they are all connected properly to the motherboard.

Does the CPU fan start when you press the ON button?

Try a different graphics card, if reseating the present one doesn't work.

I reseated the components and now it seems to be working. Many thanks MAJ and DieSse

MAJ 11:25 19 Feb 10

Glad you got it fixed, Mister Luke.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…