Need help partitioning external hardrive please

bethjess 01:30 20 Apr 08

Hi, I have a query which I am hoping somebody can help me with please. I have lost the reinstallation disks for my laptop and have been told if I want replacement disks I will have to pay £70. I have a program called "Paragon drive copy", which can aparently make a copy of everything on your pc including the operating system and so I am desperately wanting to give this a try as I cannot afford the £70 .
There are instructions with paragon on how to do the copy but it says you need to have " unallocated space available , that isn't occupied by existing partitions or data", on the drive which you want to copy to. My external harddrive currenly has 44 GB of important stuff on it and the rest is free . I am wondering can I partition my external harddrive and make a copy of my operating system to this source without losing any of my data. and I also need to know how to go about doing this partitioning.

I would very much appreciate advice please as I am perplexed here

Thanks so much
Beth

Kemistri 03:17 20 Apr 08

If the existing partition/s does/do not take up the entire space, with some remaining unformatted, then add another via Windows Disk Management (right-click on My Computer, select Manage...) If there is no unformatted space but one of the partitions can be deleted, use the same tool. If there is no unformatted space and all existing partitions are required, then resize them using Partition Magic or Paragon Partition Manager. If you don't want to do this, substitute Drive Copy with either True Image or Partition Manager again (which includes True Image's functionality) and make an image that can be stored anywhere on your backup drive. That's it, basically.

Kemistri 03:18 20 Apr 08

When I say "...then add another via Windows Disk Management", I mean use the free space for Drive Copy, obviously. Just use DM if you have a partition to delete or create.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac