need help with opening powerpoint files

june66 12:50 12 Oct 04

hello to all,

this is the first time i have posted here as i really need some advice.

i have a home computer which my son says works with XP,my problem is i am having trouble opening the presentations at:
click here

i do charity and volunteer work for my local st.johns ambulance and would like to see the current thinking in this area.i have downloaded the 97viewer from the bottom of the above page.

i thought i would need to click on the presentations and they would open but i keep getting told that powerpoint cant open the file represented by-then the name of the file.

does anyone know what i have done wrong or what i should do now?

thanks for your time,
june.

june66 12:53 12 Oct 04

i forgot to say,i have even tried to save the link to my computer and then open it with powerpoint but keep being told powerpoint cant open it.
june.

june66 12:54 12 Oct 04

i forgot to say,i have even tried to save the link to my computer and then open it with powerpoint but keep being told powerpoint cant open it.
june.

hillybilly 13:04 12 Oct 04

"i have downloaded the 97viewer from the bottom of the above page."

Thats okay to use if the presentations were written in Powerpoint 97, but if they were written with a later version, then you will need a later version of reader. Try looking around Microsoft.com and search for something like viewer2003 they can always look back at earlier versions.

VoG II 13:06 12 Oct 04

Try this Powerpoint viewer click here

june66 13:16 12 Oct 04

hello to you both,

i went to the 2003 link and tried to download it but got the following message:
"c:/documents and settings/a/local setting/temporary internet files/content/ppviewer etc" is not a valid Win32 application.

i tried to save 2003pp also but with the same result.

as an aside,when i saved the presentation links the box i was viewing said:
filename:2004 dr gareth davies
save as type:microsoft powerpoint presentation

should there not be a ppt.code in the file name may be also???

i dont know what i have done may be i am too old for this- but i appreciate you trying to help me.

june.

VoG II 13:32 12 Oct 04

I'm getting a bit confused thinking about this because in your original message you said "powerpoint cant open the file represented by-then the name of the file". If there was an error I would have expected it to say "Powerpoint Viewer can't...". Are you sure that you do not have Powerpoint (the full version, not the viewer) installed on the PC?

When you downloaded the 2003 viewer did you select to Run or Save the file?

hillybilly 13:34 12 Oct 04

Well thats strange, I have just clicked on Vog's link I then clicked on the download button to the right of the screen andthen it just let me download the viewer.

This definately what you need June, because I have Powerpoint 2003 already installed on my PC and I can view your Blue Light Files without even downloading. Just give it another try.

Perhaps Vog might have a suggestion or two.

june66 14:15 12 Oct 04

hello hillybilly and vog,

thanks for the advice.i have been to the link vog suggested again and downloaded the 2003viewer it is in start up menu fine.

but when i click on the presentation links i get the following message:

powerpoint cant open the type of file represented by c:/documents and settings/a/local settings/temporary internet files/content.ie5/s4bk3vct/2004%20dr%20gareth%20davies[3].ppt.

when i click on the 2003veiwer icon on the start up menu and locate the davies ppt and click open it just says:
powerpoint veiwer cannot open the file 2004 dr gareth davies ppt.

i dont know what i have done wrong but the viewer just wont open it.
june.

hillybilly 14:34 12 Oct 04

That file of Gareth Davies is a very large file , what I did wa o right click on it and then click on save file as. Ithen saved it into my documents not any temp older once that was done it will open with the viewer.

VoG II 14:36 12 Oct 04

My thoughts exactly hillybilly - it is a pretty huge file.

What happens, june66, if you try the one underneath it "Ellaine Young" which is much smaller.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…