Need help with Norton/Symantec updates.

Alexx_B 16:07 20 Dec 07

I have a problem with Norton.

I have a laptop - with Vista Home Premium.

My Norton Internet Security's status is "At Risk".

I have clicked the "Fix Now" button and it say the following items need attention: Protection Update and Spyware Definitions.

I then downloaded Liveupdate v3.2.0.41, it downloads 14 items (quickly) and once I click finish the status is still "At Risk".
Restarting doesn't help. I have tried the download no-end of times now, often restarting after but to no avail.

I tried emailing Norton a couple of weeks ago and today received an email from them saying they have had a high volume of emails and haven't been able to get to mine yet (or words to that effect).

My Norton subscription has 195 days left and has run fine up until now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks

pj123 16:18 20 Dec 07

Not a lot of help but I think I would suggest that you get everything "Norton" off your computer to start with.

There are plenty of free security/anti virus programs that are just as good as Norton and don't hog resources.

Just a few: AVG, Adaware, Spybot, Spywareblaster and, I guess other members will add a few more.

sunny staines 16:28 20 Dec 07

I would delete norton and reinstall, i have fixed similar errors on pc's with norton by doing a reinstal.

Alexx_B 13:07 21 Dec 07

Hadn't thought of uninstall/reinstall...

A Norton trial was on the laptop when I bought it and I carried on subscription from that.

Can I uninstall and reinstall without a disk and without affecting my current subscription?

sunny staines 14:00 21 Dec 07

it will not affect your subscription install from your saved download or cd depending which one you have.

Sparkly 16:44 21 Dec 07

Had a similar problem a while back this is what i recieved in an email from Symantec it cured it for me not sure if this will help but hope it does.

Step 1:

Uninstall LiveUpdate using Add/Remove Programs of Control Panel:

1) Click Start and then Control Panel.
2) Click Add or Remove Programs.
3) Select LiveUpdate and then click Change/Remove.
4) Follow the prompts until the uninstall process indicates that it has successfully removed LiveUpdate.
5) Restart the computer.

NOTE: If you are unable to uninstall LiveUpdate or if you receive an error message saying automatic LiveUpdate is running, you need to turn off Symantec Resource Protection and the turn off the Automatic LiveUpdate service.

For more information on how to turning on or turning off Symantec Resource Protection, please follow the steps provided below:

a. Start Norton Internet Security 2007
b. Click on Norton Internet Security Tab
c. Select 'Settings tab'
d. Click on 'Virus and Spyware Protection Options' under 'Additional Options'
e. Select 'Miscellaneous' under 'Advanced Options' in Left pane of the 'Virus and Spyware Protection Options Window'
f. Uncheck "Turn on protection for my Symantec product"
g. Click OK
h. Now press CTRL+ALT+DELETE. In the Task Manger window, locate and
click on Lucomserver.exe or Lucoms~1.exe. now click on "End Process".

Step 2:

Title: 'Removed damaged files, temp files, reinstall LiveUpdate, and then download definitions'
Document ID: 2006110909171513
> Web URL:
click here

brundle 18:15 21 Dec 07

Manual updates here if it's any help; click here

Alexx_B 22:34 21 Dec 07

I went to the "Remove damaged files, temp files, reinstall liveupdates and then download definitions page and followed the 8 steps.

Then got message:

Intelligent updater session complete. All updates failed to install on the machine. For more details about the processing, please check the log file "Log.IntelligentUpdater.txt" created in the users temporary directory.

I found "Log.IntelligentUpdater.txt" and well it looked like a lot of gobbledy-gook.

Last part of that file says:

Fri Dec 21 21:57:13 2007 : IU failed while deploying V because a compatible product could not be found on the system. Please make sure that a compatible Symantec product is installed on the system.

Why isn't my Norton program compatable?

Thanks everyone for trying tho :)

brundle 23:10 21 Dec 07

It looks likely that a complete removal and re-install is your only option. Use the Norton Removal Tool and make a note of your product key before starting. click here

The AV updates I linked to earlier might make the update process a bit speedier when you've got Norton back in place.

Alexx_B 23:38 21 Dec 07

I went back to the "remove damaged files, temp files etc" again. And instead of saving file 20070131-021-i32.exe tried a different one in the list (20071221-003-i64) and it worked!

Didn't need to resort to complete removal but thanks anyway brundle.

Thanks everyone. Merry Christmas!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…