Need help installing Phillips Router - SNK5600/05

ray_s 11:44 19 Sep 07

Hi All,

I'm having huge problems in installing my Phillips router (SNK5600/05). I'm a novice when it comes to configuring routers so would appreciate as much help as possible!!

The CDRom user guide (which is far from helpfull) says I need to connect my modem to the router and then connect the router to the PC using ethernet cables. Problem is, I have a USB modem (Tesco Broadband, don't ask!).

I've been told that I can connect this router directly to the phone line and scrap my router. Does anyone know if this is true?

If anyone knows how these Routers should actually be set up please let me know.

Please help!!

Thanks,
Ray

FreeCell 12:03 19 Sep 07

The Philips SNK5600/05 router can be used if you have cable broadband but it is not an adsl modem/router so cannot connect direct to the phone line.

You could connect a separate adsl modem to it but you need an ethernet network connection on the modem, not usb.

Don't know how you got the router or who suggested this was the right thing, but if possible return it and get an adsl modem router.

List of possibles from PC World click here

ray_s 12:06 19 Sep 07

Cheers for that!

My sister bought this from PC World a few weeks ago so will have to see if they will take this back and swap it for an ADSL router.

Thanks again,
Ray

Grantrh 12:10 19 Sep 07

Unless your router has an ADSL modem built into it (yours doesn't by my research) then you need a modem as well, however unless your USB modem has an RJ45 port (Standard for networking equipment) on it as well as USB then you need a new modem.
An RJ45 port looks like this:
click here

It looks to me like you are buying your equipment from Tesco - if its like my Tescos they stock this buffalo which will do the job - its easy to set up - I know because I have one.

Any more probs get back to me.

Grantrh 12:10 19 Sep 07

Whoops forgot to post the link!
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…