Need help with friends pc may be infected help ple

bof:) 18:32 02 Aug 07

Hi all, at moment friends laptop running in safe mode with AVG (not updated) running.

If you attempt to start laptop as normal, you get the following message:

Heading

RTHDCPL.EXE - illegal system dll relocation

Message beneath heading:

The System DLL USER32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly.

The relocation occured because the dll C:\windows\system32\HHCTRL.OCX occupied an address range reserved for windows system dll's.

The vendor supplying the dll should be contacted for a new dll.

The message underneath this MESSAGE is from Startpage Guard which says:

StartpageGuard Spyware guard browser - an attempt to change Internet Explorer settings has been detected. A BHO has been added:

{AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D}

Originally I was told by my friend that he could not get onto the internet.

He'd said he'd run AVG and got a message but didnt write it down. He was able to get onto his desktop originally but now cannot get past the above messages if starting up normally.

I have loaded a cd disk, and USB pen with all the antivirus, malware programs I have but obviously if he can only start up in safe mode we cannot used the cd drive or USB ports.

Any ideas on:

1. whats causing the problems he has getting pc started and whats stopping him getting onto the net.
2. How we fix them would be very much appreciated.

I'm taking my laptop with me but he used BT via his phone wilst I used Virgin Media BB. So I'm not sure if my pc will run on his phone line.

here's a link to my previous posting.

click here

Many thanks,

Mike

brundle 18:34 02 Aug 07
  brundle 18:35 02 Aug 07

BHO is apparently Google Toolbar notifier.

VoG II 18:38 02 Aug 07
  mfletch 18:53 02 Aug 07

Hi Have you tried a system restore?

mfletch

bof:) 19:15 02 Aug 07

Hi All, thank you so much for your help. I'm off to friends now having printed off the pages on the links you provided.

I'm assuming that there is a way ti install this fix from safe mode because my friend says he cannot start pc up as normal.

If its written on the fix you provided, very sorry but now in a bit of a rush.

Thanks again everyone Mike

bof:) 20:30 03 Aug 07

Hi all, I downloaded and installed the fix you gave me the link to, and all is well with friends laptop.

Many thanks,

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…