Need help with a fan problem

Carnage 20:08 15 Dec 05

Recently, the ball-bearings in my CPU fan have deteriorated in quality and so it has become noisy and inefficient. So, i decided to buy a new one. When i went to PC world i looked at the fans and found that the only fan that was the same size as my old cpu fan was a case fan (all the other CPU fans were either too small or too big). So i was just wandering, would it be ok to use a case fan as my CPU fan - or would that not work?

Belatucadrus 20:22 15 Dec 05

Possible, but it'll probably need a three core supply cable with speed sensor as most modern MOBOs will fail to register a two core fan and refuse to boot. You also need to check the plug on the end.

Carnage 20:26 15 Dec 05

Well my motherboard is fairly old and the plug is a three pin plug. The heat sink has not gone faulty - it's just the fan. The fan i was looking at is this one click here - and it is just to replace my old fan. My old fan did not have any sensors, it just had the usual 3-pin plug. Sorry if this is not very technical - i don't know too much in this area.

Belatucadrus 20:51 15 Dec 05

The one you have linked to should be OK as it has

"Connector 3-pin with RPM sensor wire" & "3 to 4-pin adapter"

so you should have all bases covered.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…