!!!!Need Help Connecting Desktop to Wireless!!!!!

pinoy80y432 21:58 17 Jan 06

Hi,

I have a problem that has occured to my PC while attempting to connect to the internet. I have 4 computers (3 desktops, 1 laptop). The internet connection for the laptop and the other two desktops are fine and work properly, but MY desktop will not connect to the internet!! It has been like this for days and it use to work very well in the past (for weeks i have had perfect connection). Now, My computer is getting a very strong (54 mbps) signal from the main router in a nearby room, but it says that the internet connection cannot be found! I have tried many things to fix this with no great outcome. I have rebooted my whole computer to factory settings) twice, bought a new router (went from wireless G w/ speedbooster to regular wireless G), and my mom has spend hours on the phone with the people in india but all they say is "buy a new router." Help me please! (if you need any computer info to help me say so)

pinoy80y432 22:02 17 Jan 06

I forgot to mention that before, my connection to the internet was perfect, with no stuttering or random disconnecting from the server. (P.S. i am kind of new to "PC lingo")

mgmcc 23:44 17 Jan 06

Can you 'ping' the router and other computers in the network? Can you access other computers in the network in "My Network Places" (or Network Neighborhood)?

Having restored the PC to factory settings and replaced the router, it is possible that the Wireless Network Adapter itself has failed.

Forum Editor 23:59 17 Jan 06

as if this could be a DHCP related problem, but then again it might have another cause.

Does your router have its own modem built in, or is it simply a router connected to a separate ADSL modem? If you are seeing a 'strong' wireless signal on the affected computer it's unlikely to be a problem with the wireless adapter.

If this problem occurred with the previous router, and is no better with a brand new router we need to eliminate some things by running a test. When you got the router it would have come with an ethernet cable. Connect your machine directly to one of the router's LAN ports with this cable plugged into your computer's ethernet network adapter. Disable the wireless network adapter, and see if you can go online.

If you can, we have no DHCP problem, but we might have a Windows configuration glitch.

Let us know what happens will you?

Forum Editor 00:03 18 Jan 06

you make no reference to having set up a network. From what you say it looks as though you're simply sharing the internet connection via this router - is that correct?

pinoy80y432 00:24 18 Jan 06

Mgmcc:
I can "ping" my rounter i think, but the IP adress is 169.254.73.138 (there has to be a problem because as i have read in other post the "169" is a bad number). When i click "my network places" and to the left the link named "view workgroup computers" i see a computer Icon that's names "Your-vp7x3s9ctm". I dont know what that is and Other than that, there is nothing else in that folder. I am on the laptop right now, and just checked the IP to make sure it is right. It follows the guidlines of being a 192.168.x.xxx

Forum Editor post 1:
Don't know what a DHCP is but i think that my wireless router, that is connected to the affected computer, is simply a router connected to a seperate ADSL modem. The same problem occured with my previous router (that had speedbooster) so i returned it and got a regular one (wireless G (802.11 g)) and the same problem is occuring. I will try to plug it into the main router using the cable (the blue one?). Don't know how this could be a microsoft glith though, since it WAS working very good in the past. (i have broadband connection)

Forum Editor post 2:
yes that is correct. I don't recall setting up a network and i don't know what that is either.

mgmcc 00:35 18 Jan 06

<<< but the IP adress is 169.254.73.138 >>>

That indicates that the wireless adapter has been unable to get its IP address automatically from the router by DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) and Windows has allocated a default "169.254" address which won't let you get online.

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "connected", the little icon will get its "halo" to indicate it is connected to that network and it should then get its correct IP address by DHCP from the router.

pinoy80y432 01:10 18 Jan 06

mgmcc:

Yes i have done that plenty of times. Is the SSID under the heading "site information" in the linksys wireless config. program? If it is, then yes the SSID matches the SSID of the signal. But there is ONE things i see to have done with this router. Once day my mom called linksys support and they helped her. I ugess they made us a whole new network to run off of. This connection, though, requires a WEP key (no clue) for connection? I never had to do this before on my old connection.

This is what information is needed for the WEP connection.

Security: WEP or WPA Personal or PSK2

WEP: 64-bit or 128 bit

Passphrase: (never filled in)

WEP key 1: 00:00:00:00:00

I I never filled in Passphrase or WEP key 1 because i do not know what to put there. Maybe that is the problem? Do i need to fill those in to get a connection?

mgmcc 09:22 18 Jan 06

The SSID in your wireless adapter software which matches the one for your network is the correct one. You do, however, have to go through the procedure of selecting it and "connecting" to it. If the network is secured with WEP encryption, you will only be able to "connect" to the wireless network after entering the same "key" that was used to set up WEP in the router.

pinoy80y432 21:31 18 Jan 06

mgmcc:

Is there any way for me to get this WEP key? Or will i have to call linksys to obtain it? thank you

mgmcc 22:35 18 Jan 06

The WEP key is a string of characters - normally hexadecimal characters ("0' to "9" and "a" to "f") - that the person setting up the WEP encryption makes up. If whoever set up the WEP encryption has lost the key, it may be necessary to change it in the router using one of the PCs that can connect to it. If that isn't possible, resetting the router to factory defaults should clear it, but you then have to set everything up again from scratch.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac