Need help building PC

bearpot 18:20 12 Oct 04

I regularly fix and upgrade my mates computer and a couple of days ago he asked me to build a barebones pc for him but it has to have access to the internet and has to have Win Xp Home/pro. Im alright with the internet thing, but when it comes to windows im not sure. I have an Windows XP Pro disc, but i have lost the start-up floppy disc. When installing windows on to the blank hard drive, do i need a start-up floppy disc to get into the setup for windows
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:25 12 Oct 04

enter BIOS - set first boot to CD ROM - save and exit rebbot with XP CD in drive and follow on screen instructions to install XP.

Diemmess 18:26 12 Oct 04

Assuming the XP disk is his own, then arrange the BIOS to boot from CD and you're away!

dfghjkl 20:36 12 Oct 04

if it is a new xp disc you would know that there is no floppy with it and that it boots from the cd when the bios is changed to boot from cd before the hard drive.if it is an xp disc that has been used on another pc you might have problems registering it,you wont be able to do it if it is already in use on another pc.you cant get sp1 or sp2 untill you register the xp disc.

Completealias 20:41 12 Oct 04

XP pro doesn't require product activation so installing on a 2nd pc won't b a prob. The second pc may have problems updating via windows update etc due 2 product key. If you check out the microsoft website you can find a download for the floppy set up disks, but like others have said if it is a bootable cd then switch 2 boot from CD in BIOS

dan 11 21:52 12 Oct 04

When you have installed the X\P system, make sure you install the blaster patch click here before you connect the new machine to the internet.

You can copy on to your machine and write it either to a floppy or cdr.

Good luck.

bearpot 17:14 14 Oct 04

Thanks to everyone who helped solve this problem

Bearpot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced