Need help with BIOS - FastTrak - Laptop - Alienwar

KnuX 06:30 02 Apr 08

I'm going to be as specific as I can be becasue I really need to fix this problem ASAP.

I bought an Alienware 7700 Area-51 laptop and all I've been getting is problems. Video card faliure, Viruses? and this.

It was working fine a few days ago, RIGHT after I had just got it back from having a new video card replace the defective one. I was getting re aquanted with my computer when it suddently froze. I've had computers freeze before so I didn't saee a problem. I restarted my computer and I haven't been able to enter windows since.

At first I noticed that the POST ended itself with the message "operating system not found"

Upon closer look, after "Scanning for IDE drives" the POST informed the that there is "No Drive attached to FastTrak controller. No BIOS is installed."

Then it would resume the completion by saying "Operating System not found"

I gave up on trying to recover all my data. I'll do anything to get it to work.
I can't reinstall Windows beause it wont detect my drives.

They're two 60 gigs connected through RAID and they never had a problem before.

While in POST it informs me that my BIOS is a FastTrak 378 tm BIOS 1.00.1.35 Promise Technology.

After clicking F2 to enter Setup Utility it says on top
"Phoenix cME FirstBIOS Pro Setup Utility.

I don't know what to do. I hope I provided enough information. Please help.

gazcoyle 07:17 02 Apr 08

Had the exact same problem a while ago, mine was caused by a corrupt MBR and deleted partition, cant be more specific as to how i resolved it as i cant remember but i do remember downloading something like heraons (sp) fix disc to sort it, it was a disc full of utilities and i ran several, didnt really know what i was doing but eventually got it sorted.

Needed a full reformat and reinstall afterwards.

KnuX 19:03 02 Apr 08

Reformat is fine.
I didn't want to loose everything but I'll take what I can get. I just dont want to pay for new hard Drives when I just spent 700 on the video card I just got.

So, If I go search for "heraons fix disk" And run a few programs it should work?
That means I'll have to burn the ISO or whatever onto a CD then ,right?

If I can get that CD in I'm adapt enough with computers where I should be able to run somethings to try and help the problem if that's really what will help.

KnuX 19:11 02 Apr 08

Couldn't find anything in regards with "heraons fix disk".

Not even Google had any results.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:18 02 Apr 08

1. remove / refit hard drives to remake contacts and retry to boot.

if no good then:-
2. To enter BIOS and set the CD as first boot device and make sure HDD is set as second device.

3. while in BIOS try an Auto detect to find the drives.

If still no good then

4. see if you can reset the BIOS to its default settings and then attempt another auto detect of the drives or a reboot

gazcoyle 07:03 03 Apr 08

Get the ISO for the disc here click here

KnuX 09:57 03 Apr 08

Removing and refitting is a no go. I've already tried and retried that.

I Entered BIOS and my boot order already had CD first then HDD second.

How do I auto Detect drives in BIOS?

Also -- already reset settings to default.

KnuX 10:13 03 Apr 08

I downloaded and mounted the ISO and poped it into my laptop. It's quite an amazing Boot Disk. it has EVERYTHING on it. So much in fact, I have no idea what to do with it.

Could someone else who knows what they're doing get it too and plug it in to see what steps I should take? What programs I should use? Just too many to pick from when I have NO idea of what I'm looking for.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…