Need help with Application Error please!!! :-D

GibsonSt19 01:02 06 Oct 04

Morning all,

I've recentlt started receiving an application error relating to a file called wuauclt.exe. The error continues to so *very* helpfully advise me "The exception Illegal Instruction. An attempt was made to execute an illegal instruction. (0xc000001d) occurred in the application at location 0x50945b51. Click OK to terminat the program."

Now, I when I click OK, it does go away but usually reappears some minutes later.

I understand the file relates to Windows Update in some way, however I'm not sure how to get rid of the message.

A google search wasn't very fruitful, so your help would be much appreciated.

woodt 02:21 06 Oct 04

I can only suggest that you turn off Automatic Windows Updates. Reboot then turn on Auto Updates and see of that clears the problem.

rawprawn 09:41 06 Oct 04

The wuauclt.exe file is located in the c:\windows\System32 folder. In other cases, wuauclt.exe is a virus, spyware, trojan or worm! I suggest you check just in case. click here download and run this free program, it's a bit slow but it's thorough.

GibsonSt19 10:29 06 Oct 04

I'm running NIS2004, Adaware, Spywareblaster, Sypbot Search & Destroy, Stinger and various trojan killers, and none of them have identified it as a virus :(

Woodt, I'd already tried doing as you suggested. Would you have any other ideas at all?

rawprawn 11:50 06 Oct 04

Have you tried a system scan ? Start / Run / type sfc /scannow

Baledor 11:57 06 Oct 04

but you are correct, wuauclt.exe is Windows update, not a virus/spyware or trojan.

Try restoring the file from the Windows CD-ROM, if you are on XP you can use the system file checker (sfc.exe)

GibsonSt19 12:30 06 Oct 04

Should it have provided any message upon scan completion at all?

Do I need to restart for its work to be completed?

rawprawn 12:36 06 Oct 04

click here and there are many more references, look in google

rawprawn 12:38 06 Oct 04

No, if you have run sfc and it didn't ask for your OS disc it looks as though the system files are OK.

GibsonSt19 12:39 06 Oct 04

I put my disc in the drive before I started.

That still leaves me with this prob then :(

Any further ideas?

JonnyTub 12:47 06 Oct 04

stop error codes and results from a knowledge base search click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…