need to get files from old pent 2 runnin win98

shadow_v 14:43 21 Jul 04

hi my dad has still been usin old comp, pent2 runnin win98 and now somethings gone wrong and can only start in safe mode. in this mode will not allow me to use cd burner so tried networkin my comp runnin winxp but can not access files on the 98 comp. ne ideas?!?!?!?!

woodchip 14:52 21 Jul 04

Yes from safe mode Shut computer down to DOS. then at C:\>WINDOWS type SCANREG/RESTORE press enter Reload the oldest date then try restart

Smiler 15:00 21 Jul 04

You could remove the hard drive from the old comp and install it as slave(change jumper on hdd) on new comp then copy files either to new comp or cd-w

shadow_v 15:06 21 Jul 04

just tried suggestion of scnareg but latest date was 12/18/02 will doin this erase all work to present?

PSF 15:36 21 Jul 04

You will loose programs installed after that date. Try going back a week or two first to a time when you know it was working ok.

I had to do this to a friends pc last night, i went back one month and then it ran ok. The Anti-virus had been attacked which stopped the pc booting. He will keep his av up to date now!!!

woodchip 17:23 21 Jul 04

You will not lose work only as above any progras that was loaded will have to be reloaded after that date

woodchip 17:24 21 Jul 04

You will only have 5 Reg backups so it will not go back very far if the computer is used regular

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…