Need to free up space

Tango18 20:35 29 Jun 10

Tried to carry out a restore point but it failed due to lack of space. Get a LOW SPACE ON RECOVERY E warning which is still there despite removing some quite large video files. Appears the failed partial restore point is still there about 10 Gb. How do I remove it pls? Could also do with a free registry cleaner if anyone could recommend a good safe on? TIA Tango 18

Terry Brown 20:59 29 Jun 10

Open 'My Computer'
Right Click to get Properties
Select Disk Cleanup & run the suggested settings
Select more options (Top Line)
Bottom Option - Remove all restore points except the most recent.
You should now have a lot more space on your harddrive.

Terry

birdface 21:26 29 Jun 10

maybe switch system restore off and when you reboot switch it back on.

Tango18 21:32 29 Jun 10

Terry Brown

Tried that doesn't remove anything, I think the failed restore point was the most recent one. On the reg cleaner searching through the forum CCleaner appears to be the boy.
Tango18

MAT ALAN 21:40 29 Jun 10

It may well be your "system volume info files" taking up all the space.

click here

run the prog in the link it will tell you exactly where your free space has gone but dont be too surprised if you need to turn off "system restore" to recover the lost space.
if your PC is running how you want it to this will not be a problem...

Tango18 21:41 29 Jun 10

When I go to BACKUP STATUS AND CONFIGURATION it says that "Automatic file backup is configured but turned off". Tango18

Tango18 21:41 29 Jun 10

When I go to BACKUP STATUS AND CONFIGURATION it says that "Automatic file backup is configured but turned off". Tango18

ronalddonald 21:42 29 Jun 10

you could try linux mint 9 or download eraser, just google it and that can destroy files or folders nut it would mean reinstalling operating system.

or try copying and pasting the files to an external drive, then delete the files from hte computer hardrive or use the eraser software its eraser helen i think its called.

ronalddonald 21:43 29 Jun 10

This type of thing i use Acronis software which isnt free.

ronalddonald 21:43 29 Jun 10

but it does the job

Tango18 21:44 29 Jun 10

Are you sure that is the right link !!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…