Need to free up disk space - please help!!!

Evenstar* 12:40 20 Dec 04

My PC has an 18GB capacity and only 7 max is taken up by audio/video/picture files...can someone tell me how much space Windows XP uses cos I don't have a huge amount of programs but somehow I've run out of space. I've deleted things but still the amount free seems to decrease - please help - thanks!!!

Sethhaniel 12:47 20 Dec 04

limit system restore ;)

Technotiger 13:08 20 Dec 04

Hi, go to Start>Accessories>SystemTools>DiskCleanup, that should clear some space. Cheers.

Technotiger 13:12 20 Dec 04

Hi again - in addition, in IE go to Tools>InternetOptions>DeleteCookies and Delete Files.

Technotiger 13:14 20 Dec 04

Me again - after all that also tidy-up with a Defrag..........Cheers.

Mango Grummit 13:27 20 Dec 04

Hi Evenstar*, 1.5GB plus (about) 1.25GB for the updates and SP1/2.

Round it up -- say 4 in total -- could be more, could be less -- will be more in the future.

Sethhaniel 13:29 20 Dec 04

if its on and working fine - delete its back-up file - reclaim about 2gig ;)

Buchan 35 13:46 20 Dec 04

Sethaniel, I`m no whiz kid on computers so could you tell me where to find SP2 back up file.
Apologies to Evenstar* for the hijack

BurrWalnut 13:54 20 Dec 04

If you don't use hibernate it will save over 500Mb, right-click Desktop, Properties, Screen-saver, Power and on the Hibernate Tab, disable it.

Sethhaniel 13:59 20 Dec 04

in windows explorer - select tools - folder options -view - select show hidden files & untick hide protected operating system files -
click apply - then look for folders in blue under c:\programs or C:\windows - check size as as the SP2 is around 2 gig in size ;)

Evenstar* 18:34 20 Dec 04

...though I've actually done most of the above which is why I'm at such a loss! I did delete some unused programs in program files which gave me 700+ MB so thanks again! And no worries Buchan, I'd like to know about the backup aswell :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…