Need to fix Win Media Player - help needed!

Camille 19:38 21 Apr 04

Have begun having problems copying my (legally owned) CDs to the hard-drive. CDs will play perfectly well with Media Player, but I get an unspecified error message when trying to copy to HD. This happens with any CD including ones that I had copied to the HD of my previous pc.
Read a previous thread of a similar problem, which was solved by uninstalling and reinstalling Media Player - however, I can't find WMP on add/remove programs, only a hotfix for it

I run XP

Any suggestions?

SantasLittleHelper 20:36 21 Apr 04

Suggest you try downloading latest version of Media player from Microsoft website and see if it will load "over the top" of the original installation. If this doesn't work why not load RealOne Player(basic edition, it's free) and use this instead. I think it is better than Media Player, but that is only my opinion, others will probably say different.

Camille 22:58 21 Apr 04

I have the basic version of realone, which I use for streaming audio. I wasn't aware I could use it to play CDs or copy them to my hard drive.

The_$@!nt 23:23 21 Apr 04

What version of windows media are you running?

PS.Copying a CD to a hard drive is illegal whether u brought the cd or not ;)

stalion 00:01 22 Apr 04

Hello I agree with SantasLittleHelper download the latest version and install.Regards click here

Camille 18:34 22 Apr 04

I'm not entirely sure what version it is - the properties tab is greyed out! It came with XP.
Aside from questions of legality, not being able to copy to my hard drive also means that I am also unable to copy from perfectly legal CDs - i.e. copyright free sound clips I use for teaching.

Camille 18:47 22 Apr 04

Well, just to let you know I was able to install Media Player 9 over the existing app - and am now back to being able to copy my audio files!

Thanks to all for the advice :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…