Need for Firewalls

GORAL 22:32 02 Dec 03

Running two PCs using Win XP Home. They are networked and we use Blueyonder Broadband.

I have Norton System Works installed together with Norton Anti-Virus and Norton's Firewall.

Query: I only have the Firewall on my PC (the one directly connected to the Internet). Opinion varies apparently, but I would welcome your advice as to whether the second PC also needs the Firewall installing, or, as I have been assuming MY Firewall is sufficient to protect my Network.

Gaz 25 22:46 02 Dec 03

Some on this site claim there is no need for firewalls...

But I like to know what software is sending info and which data is coming in. I would suggest that you install the firewall on all the PCs to stop any keyloggers and trojans. Others may say that Trojans can get past them... Yeah most likely the most severe ones can! But not the pass by ones that just try to get in... Thankfully my firewall blocked port 135 and stopped the BLASTER worm, so there are some advantages. Also it hides your PC from port scans.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:15 02 Dec 03

Assuming that you connect through the main computer then a single firewall will be OK.

Evening Gaz......

'Also it hides your PC from port scans'...firewalls do not hide your PC. A firewall CANNOT hide an IP address and there is plenty of software that can detect when and which firewalls are being used. All a firewall can do is 'hide' the ports, anyone with a little computer knowledge knows the ports are there. It is a bit obvious that, when using a port scan, only one port shows up on Joe Blogg's computer....computers do not have one port. Firewalls are excellent in showing which port IS open and letting through flow though ;-)).

'to stop any keyloggers and trojans'..firewalls do not.

'stopped the BLASTER worm'...errrm, what about all the home computers and corporate computers (hardware firewalls) running firewalls that got infected?

;-))

G

Gaz 25 23:28 02 Dec 03

No arguments! LOL

"'Also it hides your PC from port scans'...firewalls do not hide your PC. A firewall CANNOT hide an IP address and there is plenty of software that can detect when and which firewalls are being used. All a firewall can do is 'hide' the ports, anyone with a little computer knowledge knows the ports are there. It is a bit obvious that, when using a port scan, only one port shows up on Joe Blogg's computer....computers do not have one port. Firewalls are excellent in showing which port IS open and letting through flow though ;-))."

- I agree, and thats what I meant, it does not hide your IP, the only way you can do that is cover it up behind a router with firewall, etc. What I meant is it does hide ports from port scans. And the best firewalls can keep your PCs ports well hidden, as it cuts off all communictaions until you open a trusted program that attempts to scan for virueses.

"'to stop any keyloggers and trojans'..firewalls do not."

- Well it stops unknown or dodgy programs accessing the net!!!! It DOES NOT stop a keylogger, but it stops it in one way... Sending the data. Unless it is BackOffrice, etc...

"'stopped the BLASTER worm'...errrm, what about all the home computers and corporate computers (hardware firewalls) running firewalls that got infected?"

Maybe becuase they have firewalls without a block for port 135, its just set to auto.

I have a specific block that blocks port 135 and a few others, and it works. I installed the patch well after this virus was on its rounds...

Popped up emap probes.

Anyway, we all have opinions!! LOL ;-)

Regards,
Gareth

GORAL 23:40 02 Dec 03

I do seem to have caused a "technical" storm!

Thanks very much for your informed and detailed responses Gaz 25 and Gandalf. As a fairly frequent user of this site I recognize both your names as 'respected' advisors.

Unfortunately whilst I am able to follow both your arguments, I find it hard to be convinced as to who is actually right !!!!!!

powerless 23:46 02 Dec 03

click here

Join in the experiment.

DieSse 23:54 02 Dec 03

er - no thanks - I'd rather have some protection than no protection.

GORAL 00:00 03 Dec 03

DieSse

Do you have an answer to my original question?

I do not propose to remove my Firewall, but should I put one on the other (networked) PC?

DieSse 00:11 03 Dec 03

I would. If they're networked via a hub or router, then they are both as independant as each other when accessing the internet.

GORAL 00:18 03 Dec 03

At last - only joking!

Many thanks for your responses. I think I will accept DieSse's advice; please carry on with your argument Gandalf and Gaz 25 - may the best man win!!!!

The Spires 01:03 03 Dec 03

Zone has stopped one or two Trojans phoning home + quite a few bits of snoopy software. I really don't find my Pc runs much different with or without one, personal choice of course. Keeping mine on, I will review in a year or so.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…