Need Drviers for cd writer

Tonycablejr 10:58 04 Apr 05

hi

i have just upgraded to windows 2000 pro.
i have a hewlett packard cd-writer plus 7500 series external.

whenever i try and install the drivers i have, my computer breaks (i think it's because the drivers are for 95 amd 98 - which i had no problem with running the drive under).

i haven't got the error that it produces on me but i'll find it and post it if it helps.

does anyone know if this is the problem, and where i can get the appropriate drivers.

jimv7 11:02 04 Apr 05

You should not need drivers for any cdr/cdrw as windows has generic drivers for the majority of these drives. Just let windows find the cdrw.

jimv7 11:03 04 Apr 05

You should not need drivers for any cdr/cdrw as windows has generic drivers for the majority of these drives. Just let windows find the cdrw.

Tonycablejr 11:05 04 Apr 05

i'll try that. are you sure cos the drive is pretty old.

and its an external drive. but i'll give it a go and see what happens.

Tonycablejr 11:06 04 Apr 05

i'll try that. are you sure cos the drive is pretty old.

and its an external drive. but i'll give it a go and see what happens.

SANTOS7 11:06 04 Apr 05

Uninstal the R/W in device manager reboot and let your O/S find the device it should then find, as Jimv7 has said generic drivers which is all you really need

Stuartli 11:22 04 Apr 05

Windows uses its CDROM driver for CD/DVD-ROM drives and rewriters and installs it automatically when it is rebooted after a drive has been installed.

In the case of rewriters, it's software such as Nero that provides the means to use them for their intended purpose.

TomJerry 12:04 04 Apr 05

Internal CD writers do not need drivers, but Tonycablejr has external writers which does NEED driver

you can download correct driver from HP web site click here, win2K is supported

TomJerry 12:06 04 Apr 05

SANTOS7 12:07 04 Apr 05

Stand corrected, thanks for info Tomjerry,learnt a bit today...

Tonycablejr 12:09 04 Apr 05

u people

u all want me to fail!!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…