Need to copy everything from C: to New Hard Drive

TAL4 23:06 06 Feb 05

February edition of PC Advisor–Helpline told someone how to transfer all their files from one hard drive to another. I also want to be able to do this but the information given didn't work on my Win XP Professional system. I have installed a new hard disk which is blank and I want to be able to make it my main drive by copying everything from C across. The information given was for someone running Win 98. I typed in XCOPY32.exe /c/h/e/k C:*.* H: (H being my new hard drive) but my computer says it can’t find file xcopy32.exe. I tried with xcopy.exe which is in my windows system32 folder but it just created a file on H: called recycler. My old drive is 40GB with FAT32 The new Drive is 80GB with NTFS file system (this was the only choice I was given) The jumpers on the drives are on auto detect I have a cable with one black master connector and one grey slave connector. I intended to copy all the files to the new drive and then change the cable connectors over. Can anyone help?

Muckle 23:19 06 Feb 05

You will need software such as Ghost that I have seen mentioned here (try a search) to copy all data across.

dan11 23:27 06 Feb 05

If you bought your new hard drive as " retail boxed", you should have a disk with it that should clone your old hard drive to the new one.

If it was an OEM hard drive, then go to the disk manufactures web site to download the software you need to clone the drive. It is free. :-)

HXP 02:52 07 Feb 05

If you buy a maxtor HDD u can downlaod MAXBLAST software that does what you want - only works with MAXTOR drives though.

have a look on their website - good reliable drives - I fitted on and it was very easy. hardest thing was screwing it into the HDD cage - casing is very soft metal compared to the screws so have to carefull not to cross thread.

The copy feature lets you make an exact duplicate of your existing hard drive.

click here

You can use your existing drive as a slave with the new one as master - or use the new drive as a slave.

HXP 02:55 07 Feb 05

Sorry mis read your post - you already have got new HDD - well if it's a MAXTOR you have link - but check the web site of the manufacturer of your HDD maybe have similar software ?

pj123 13:38 07 Feb 05

xcopy doesn't work with XP. You need to download (free) xxclone from click here

Your new hard drive also needs to be formatted/partitioned first.

Maturin 14:14 07 Feb 05

In addition to the advice above, why not take a look at Acronis True Image 8.0, which will do more than just clone your drive, but will also be a faithful backup solution click here

rawprawn 14:26 07 Feb 05

I Don't want to but in, but I have just bought a new Maxtor HDD. I tried to clone it using Acronis True Image which I think is a great probram. However I have a Dell computer with only the Dell OEM version of XP. Acronis told me that the clone was successful, but it wasn't. It looked OK on the face of it but there were bits missing or corrupt. I spoke to a friend who tells me it is impossible to clone a HDD loaded by Dell. If someone knows better I shall be inerested to see. At the moment I have installed the neww HDD as slave. It isn't really a problem, but not what I wanted.

SEASHANTY 15:00 07 Feb 05

Using the Maxtor Maxblast 3 copy software. Note that at least one of the drives must be a Maxtor
click here

SEASHANTY 15:11 07 Feb 05

...... Also see this Maxtor webpage
click here

rawprawn 15:51 07 Feb 05

I assume the above answer was aimed at me and my Dell. Both HDD's are Maxtor, if so I will give it a whirl.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…