Need to clear hdd and start again

lixdexik 14:23 12 Jan 03
  lixdexik 14:23 12 Jan 03

Hi ..I would like to clear my hdd of all files and progs.. I had installed bootmagic on one of my drives so that I could dual boot between 98 & xp. for various reasons things went pear shaped and I would now like a clean sheet to start again ... The problem lies with the removal of boot magic... having used the uninstaller with the prog to remove it....then started the computer with the win98 startup disc.... I then ran fdisk to first remove all partitions...then set one new primary active partition......I then rebooted into the startup disc to format the new partition useing the format C:/s command.... I then reinstalled win98.. and when I booted the computer for the first time it tried to load bootmagic but could not find the bootmagic files....QUESTION.. why is it looking for the bootmagic files when the drive has been dealtwith as described above... how do you get rid of bootmagic if all the above have failed... as long as this drive is connected to the machine it assumes command, even if it is jumpered as slave..Is the only answer to dump the drive.. Your thoughts/advice PLEASE!!!

Cheers Lixdexik.

lixdexik 15:59 12 Jan 03

can any body offer help.

DieSse 16:23 12 Jan 03

It's because something is still in the master boot record on the hdd, presumably.

You could, as a first go, try running

fdisk /mbr

This clears out parts of the mbr that dual-boot programs often use.

BrianW 16:26 12 Jan 03

You could try fdisk /mbr which will clear the master boot record. I think that things like boot magic can leave a record behind in the master boot sector of your hard disc. According to Upgrading & Repairing PCs it can rewrite the master boot record code area but leaves the partition table record area intact. No guarantees but it may work.

BrianW 16:27 12 Jan 03

DieSse - beaten by faster fingers yet again! ;>}}

lixdexik 16:29 12 Jan 03

DieSse & BrianW

I will give that a go and see what happens, nothing to loose

Cheers Lixdexik.

lixdexik 17:11 12 Jan 03

Thank you both very much.. fdisk/mbr was the magic cure all I was after. I can now go forth and enjoy the delights of reinstalling all my progs.

Many thanks Lixdexik

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…