need a bit of quick advice please

ZEROTOLERANCE 23:36 30 Jul 04

after reading one of the earlier threads about sluggish comp's, i downloaded a prog called REGSEEKER to cleaan the reg'ry before i ran it i ran REGSCRUB XP which i do weekly it found about ten obsolete entries, which is about usual,
but i then ran REGSEEKER, which found 1527 obsolete/broken etc entries,

how can this be? should i make a back up and just delete the lot?
what do you advise, any comments?

Normaly i would think it had found A LOT of entries at about the 100 mark, but1500!!!

VoG II 23:58 30 Jul 04

Take care with ReGSeeker - it gave me problems. This is purely a personal opinion. RegscrubXP is fine.

Strawballs 00:01 31 Jul 04

click here Try this used for years never let me down

ZEROTOLERANCE 00:05 31 Jul 04

do you suggest i dont do as i said above then? even with a bakup?

ZT

ZEROTOLERANCE 00:09 31 Jul 04

also whats the difference between exporting them an deleting them? and if there exported, where r they exported to? i thought it was recycle bin or the desktop, but i exported 1 to see but its dissappeared!!

ZEROTOLERANCE 01:09 31 Jul 04

:o(

Chegs ® 01:51 31 Jul 04

I wouldn't "play" with the registry,its the heart of the OS.XP is slightly more tolerant of interference than its predecessors,but push it(1500!)and it will fail.It has the Recovery Console,but how are you going to find/copy/return them in DOS if you cannot locate them in windows? :-)

hugh-265156 02:30 31 Jul 04

i use regseeker and its never gave me any problems deleting all it finds, as above it depends i suppose on your set up.

if you delete a registry item its gone for good. if however you 'click start/run' and type 'regedit' then click 'my computer/file/export' or any bit of the registry then 'file/export' its like copy and paste, the selected entry will be backed up to a location of your choosing (desktop etc) or if you choose 'my computer/file/export' the whole registry will be backed up.

give it a name and click save. click on the .reg file you saved and you will be prompted to restore the information back into the registry again,click ok.

helmetshine 06:34 31 Jul 04

I've used Regseeker for a while and never had any problems....if you look in the bottom left hand corner you should see a box labelled backup before deletion....tick this and it will backup everything it deletes anyway and under clean the registry is backups where you can restore them if you wish

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac