Need a BIOS update

woodchip 16:16 05 Dec 07

This is for a old Laptop,

Toshiba Satellite 4100 XCDT.

The reson being the the old 6.4Gb Drive is shot. But I do have an Hitachi 20Gb drive, I partitioned and formated the drive in another Computer.

But Bios cannot see the Drive

I have been lost in the Google jungle and Toshiba site on what model this is. On the bottom of Comp, other than above, it says Model No PAS410E-A

Totally-braindead 16:24 05 Dec 07

I had a look here woodchip click here and I could even find that laptop mentioned.
Did find this click here and it mentions pre 2001 products but I click on the link and it fails.
Sorry I can't help.

woodchip 16:26 05 Dec 07

Yes its a old Laptop that have been given a P11 about 466mhz cpu I think

Totally-braindead 16:31 05 Dec 07

Just found the retail price for when it came out. £2195 believe it or not. How times have changed!

Did find this if its any help click here so the driver does exist its just I can't find it. Yet.

woodchip 16:32 05 Dec 07

Yes it’s a old Laptop that have been given a P11 about 466mhz cpu I think.

Yes I had already checked there site, also Archive for old drivers But no mention of it. I may have to try to get a old Drive from Computer fair. Shame as this 20 Gb drive works Perfect, I found it on the local Dumpit site floor. There was all His stuff on the Drive even a Photo of where he lived. I cleared it all after just having a gander and the files. Nothing worth anything, no top Secret Files

Totally-braindead 17:06 05 Dec 07

Not sure what would happen here but could you not partition it into say four 5 gig drives or would that still not work?

paul€ 17:28 05 Dec 07

Use the hard drives manufacturers tools to fool the bios to see the hard drive.

What make is the hard drive and does the laptop come with either a floppy or cdrom?

paul€ 17:36 05 Dec 07

Bios update for a 4100 click here thats a direct link.

from archive click here

paul€ 17:44 05 Dec 07

The update just refers to graphics drivers click here, nothing about increasing the size seen of larger hard drives.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:42 05 Dec 07

Your gong to have to use "Drive Overlay Software" to fool the BIOS into accepting the drive.

Have a google for something called EZ Drive download to and copy to a formatted (by Win98 or prev) floppy.

Boot the laptop from the EZ Drive floppy and it will install to the HDD.
The BIOS should then see the drive as a smaller drive.
Windows should see it OK.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:44 05 Dec 07

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…