Need bigger Hard Drive, will Motherboard take it

Shikaree 12:30 03 Feb 09

Hi Folks,

It's me again. My motherboard - K7 Pro ATX IR3 Mainboard. AMD Athlon Processor with 3DNow Technology. 800MHz Processor.

It came with a 20GB Hard Drive. I Installed an 80GB Hard Drive. I now want to install a 160GB. Will my Motherboard take it. Will I be able to Partition the 160GB - 50/50.

Please Help!!

Thanks

Shikaree

Strawballs 12:34 03 Feb 09

Motherboard should make no difference on size of HDD especially if you wish to partion it 50/50

Shikaree 12:47 03 Feb 09

Thanks Strawballs.

I was informed some time ago that certain M/boards refuse to take certain bigger sizes of Hard Drives.

At least now I can go ahead and get the 160GB.

Shikaree

Quiet Life 12:51 03 Feb 09

Old mother boards had bios that would only recognise 33gb of any hard drive but drive manufacturers developed dynamic drive overlays that cut in before the bios and would rcognise full size. If the 80gb is fully recognised the 160gb will be as well.

Shikaree 14:13 03 Feb 09

Thanks Quiet Life. Yes the 80GB was recognised.

Much obliged.

gazzaho 16:53 03 Feb 09

It would also depend on the IDE channels on your board I had a look at the specs for the K7 board and it has 2 IDE sockets which means you can have 3 hard drives and one CD/DVD optical drive connected. If you have 2 optical drives connected you'll have to remove one.

If I also remember correctly set the hard drive as master and the optical drive as slave for better hard drive performance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…