need to backup saved data - problem

Adam Patrick 19:20 31 Mar 03

Hello
I'm about to get my new motherboard and processor installed by a computer services company tomorrow.

The man I spoke to said it is critical that I backup all the saved data I want to keep (saved games etc) because it could be lost when the new equipment is installed. The problem is I don't know how to do it.

I tried putting a recordable CD into the drive marked 'Rewritable' but nothing happened.

I don't know what to do now. I could do with some help if possible.
Thanks

recap 19:37 31 Mar 03

What software are you using with the CDR?

Adam Patrick 20:55 31 Mar 03

Hello
In reply to 'recap', I don't think I have any software for it. The man said if I couldn't do it then he would be able to.

Is it really critical to backup data I want to keep when installing new equipment (motherboard, processor, memory) or would it still be ok if I didn't?
Thanks

billyliv 20:56 31 Mar 03

Hi, I may be missing something but I cant see how you will lose data as everything that you want is on your hard drive. Cheers, Bill

Lone Crow 21:14 31 Mar 03

I agree with billyliv. I think the man is just covering himself in case of unforeseen catastrophe - like he fries the hard drive by mistake! His advice is sound, all the same. You should have some software for your rewritable drive, though, either loaded or on a CD somewhere. Click on Start, then Programs, and go through the list carefully to see if you can find something you've not used before that contains a menu referring to burning, formatting, or whatever. Nero Burning ROM is common, as are Roxio EasyCD Creator, Adaptec, etc. Unless you can find (and load, if necessary) the software to enable burning ROMs you won't be able to proceed with a backup. If you do find the right software, look in its Help facilities for info on doing the job. Often it has wizards to help you painlessly through the process. Good luck. LC.

wee eddie 22:19 31 Mar 03

From what you have said, you are getting your upgrades fitted by a professional.

He/she should be quite capable of making a copy of your HD before doing the installation work.

It will take about 5 minutes to set up although the process itself can take considerably longer, it will not need constant attention. In other words something else can be done while the drive is being copied.

It will cost you a little but reduce your worry and headache

Adam Patrick 13:43 16 Aug 03

Hi there
I'm having a problem installing a software package on my laptop. The software is called Pinnacle Studio Version 8, which is a package that enables you to edit digital camcorder images.

The installation goes ok until it tries to install DirectX and then it gets stuck halfway through this process.(The blue bar gets to about halfway across and then doesn't go any further.)

It says something like "updating as neccesary this could take a few minutes", but half an hour later and it still hasn't got any further (I have all the correct system specs). I've tried it about 5 times and the same thing always happens.

I would be grateful for some advice.

Thanks.

wee eddie 13:52 16 Aug 03

a few minutes can be up to 24hours. Although I have never understood why they don't put.

"This'll probably take ages"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5