Need Advice on what cd/dvd drives to use

Dirtbag 16:45 01 Jul 07

Hiya, I just bought this cd drive

click here

I already have two older drives

A cdrw 32x52x32 I think, and a 10 speed DVD-rw

Question is can I use all three at once, or if it was yourself which one could I replace with the new one.

I play lots of games, and watch dvds, but never burn them, however I use DVD-RAM disks from my DVD-CAM so that I can view them on my pc

Any ideas, as Im not sure if I need all three

Thanks

Stuartli 17:49 01 Jul 07

You really only need two as the new drive will write to both blank CD and DVD media.

If you keep this drive purely for burning sessions and one of the other drives (the DVD-RW is, I presume, younger than the CD-RW drive) for installing software, listening to audio disks etc.

The third drive could be kept as a spare in case one packs up as rewriters are not the most robust of optical drives longevity wise.

Dirtbag 17:58 01 Jul 07

thanks mate

Stuartli 19:35 01 Jul 07

Don't forget one drive is the Master (normally a rewriter) and the other the Slave on the Secondary IDE Channel.

For some reason I missed your comment that you don't burn to blank disks, but it's the same outcome...:-)

Totally-braindead 19:45 01 Jul 07

And for some strange reason many DVD writers must be the master, don't know why but it came with a warning on mine that it MIGHT work as a slave but would definatly work as a master therefore they recommended you installed the DVD writer as the master and anything else as the slave.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced