Need advice in. Using new PC

GrannyA 19:24 02 Mar 14
Answered

I have been advised that my 11yr old HP desk top Computer needs to be replaced - it is now extremely slow and is XP. I do much prefer a monitor and computer than a laptop. My present PC. is very neat; it fits nicely under the monitor as it is not deep. I should like one similar and if possible I would like Windows 7 rather than 8 as I have a netbook on 7 and am trying to get to terms with that. My usage of a computer is browsing , photos, a small household accounts package and emails. I don't play any games and very rarely download anything ( too frightened that it might bring a bug!) My budget is a maximum of £500 and I really do want it to be well spent and hopefully it will last as long as the HP one I now have and is lovely and fast!

Could anyone give me some guidance please. Talking to young people in computer shops is quite stressful as I don't understand half of what they are talking about . Thank you in anticipation.

GrannyA 19:08 03 Mar 14

Thank you MechKB. what are the things I should look for in a computer? It's so difficult when I don't know my RAM from my ROM ( these two show up all the time and I know one is memory) I would love to have something that would be fast as this one is so very slow. Is the Processor size or make important for this? Everyone seems to ask which one. It's all a minefield! I'll be putting a photo programme on it as I do like to edit my photos, and am given to understand that such a programme takes up a lot of space. Sorry to be so vague.any advice greatly received as hope to buy by April. GrannyA

GrannyA 08:03 06 Mar 14

Thank you very much. I now feel more confident in making a decision and am looking online and at the PC reviews before buying in the next couple of weeks. Thanks fir your help

john bunyan 17:50 06 Mar 14

I would have a look at Novotech See:
Novotech

They sell PC's with a choice of operating systems - their price does not include an OS but on the right on options a wide choice is available. Not also that you need a suitable monitor.

I would bear in mind MechKB 's advice and have a chat with them so they could put together a package that suits you. I strongly endorse the need for at least one back up drive and suitable back up software such as Acronis True Image. Re Photo editing a good free one is Paint.net, although I use Photoshop.

Paint.net

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5