Need Advice On Powerfull System Fans!

cubeladd 14:31 28 Apr 04

My computer has been seriously overheating for the past couple of months. Two days ago the system just completly cut out while I was using it which I havn't been able to repair yet. (see click here)

Once my computer is up and running again I intend to buy a new fan asap! Iam a little confused as to what the difference between a fan and a heatsink is though. Are they part of the same component?

My CPU was running at about 50-60 degrees before my computer cut out. I won't be able to find the model/Make until I can turn my computer back on, but I would appreciate some advice on some of the more powerfull fan (heatsink?) models out there. I don't mind them being noisy, just as long as they are powerful enough!

inneedofhelp 14:57 28 Apr 04

the heatsink is the part of the cooling device that attaches to the cpu. usally grey or balck in color.the fan then screws on top of this to cool everything down, i idea being that the heat from cpu dissipates up the heatsink to the nice cool fan. I have a thermaltake case with 8 fans , so heat for me isnt a prob.However, u dont need to spend loads of cash on a new fan. I biggest prob is getting rid of the heat. What you need is one fan blowing in nice cool air, and one fan blowing air out. Therfore the fan on top of ure heatsink will have nice cool air to blow instead of warm air.

inneedofhelp 14:59 28 Apr 04

so buy one that should attach to the rear of the case, and attach another wherever ou can, usally onside of case.

961 15:19 28 Apr 04

Unless you are into making the processor go faster than it's supposed to (overclocking)then there should be no need for all this talk of super fans.

The other thing to say is that you need to sort the problem before you try to run the computer again

So tell us what the brand of computer is and how old it is. Do you have the handbook or literature that described the computer when you bought it. From all that, what make, what processor, what graphics card?

If it is really a heat problem then it is likely that one of the fans has failed. You will normally find one on top of the processor, one at the back of the case and one at the back of the power supply unit. There may also be another at the front of the case and there may be one on top of the graphics card

Many Athlon processors do in fact run at the sort of temperature you describe, but since your system has stopped you obviously need to identify what the problem is

If the system is not covered by guarantee I suggest you first of all check the power cable connections and fuse and ensure that any surge protector has not failed

Then why not take the left hand side panel off and identify how many fans you can see. Are any of them clogged with dust? If so, remove the power cord from the back of the machine and without touching anything inside the case gently brush the fans with a new half inch paintbrush

Then replace the power cord and briefly turn the machine on and see if all the fans work. If not, immediately switch off again and post here again

Fans cost very little. Replacing them is easy

fsbb 18:46 28 Apr 04

50-60 is ok. I have a micro case with Athlon XP 2500, standard PSU and standard CPU heatsink and fan. Temp average around 55 with no problems. My previous PC ran ok at 75 under load with no adverse affects.

As PSU fan and/or case fan sucks air out of case cool air of the same volume is sucked in. Therefore, a fan sucking air into case is pointless as only the same volume will be replaced - can't get a quart into a pint pot!! An additional or more powerful fan to suck air out would of course help with cooling.

If your PC is shutting down at 50-60, I would say the problem is elsewhere other than cooling.

inneedofhelp 14:32 29 Apr 04

a fan sucking air in to a case inst pointless if u have one sucking air out, as i noted above

Stuartli 16:07 29 Apr 04

Your last thread contradicts itself...:-)

Most cases will have a facility for a front case fan - a good ball bearing type shouldn't cost more than a fiver.

I have a front case fan, graphics card and CPU fans and the PSU fan pulling the air out at the rear; it keeps my system more than adequately cooled as I have ensured maximum air flow through the case.

It's also important to make sure that the fan is pulling/pushing air in the correct direction; most are marked with the air's direction by an arrow.

woodchip 16:17 29 Apr 04

Heatsink is like the fins on a aircooled motor bicycle engin Fan is a Fan. Bigger the Better with Slow Revs the CPU as a Heatsink with Fan on top. as it gets that hot. Does a lot of work

woodchip 16:25 29 Apr 04

PS you can find out what CPU is fitted by removing the Heatsink Fan arrangment, A metal clip at the side of the CPU unclips from a plastic hook NOT the Ziff Leaver. the Ziff leaver when up allows you to remove the CPU

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…