Nedd help with basic Home network

tomhunter 16:14 19 Dec 05

Hello

Im in the uk and im about to get the stuff and setup a network in my house to share the broadband mainly and files etc. I have a few questions Please:

Whats the best make to buy for the router, belkin and netgear sound like the commercial ones,I heard linkseys are the best as the are an offshoot of cisco?

Does the make of the network card have to be the same as the router?

I have 2 desktop pc's and a laptop (lucky me :))and i want to conect them all, im on adsl what would be the best way?

1. Router next to 1 pc, wireless in the laptop and either cable or wireless to the other desktop about 2 rooms away?

Or should i use a cable to the 2nd desktop from the router instead of wireless for a better connection?

Are usb dongles any good how do they compare with normall wireless cards?

Whats the best fastest connection i should get is it 802.11g (or is there better) and 108 mbps? Does the mbps affect the Net connection speed?

What do you have to match upwith regards to specs of router and all wireless cards and maybe cables?

Thanks alot all help greatly appreciated

mgmcc 17:36 19 Dec 05

<<< Whats the best make to buy for the router, belkin and netgear sound like the commercial ones,I heard linkseys are the best as the are an offshoot of cisco? >>>

Any of the mainstream products should be fine - Belkin, Netgear, Linksys, D-Link etc. ADSL requires a combined "Router/ADSL Modem" which replaces the normal USB modem.

<<< Does the make of the network card have to be the same as the router? >>>

If you decide to go for one of the "speed boosted" products, with speeds above the 802.11g standard of 54Mbps, then "yes" stick to adapters from the same manufacturer. There is at present no laid down protocol for wireless kit running at speeds above the 802.11g standard. All 802.11g hardware should be compatible.

<<< I have 2 desktop pc's and a laptop (lucky me :))and i want to conect them all, im on adsl what would be the best way? >>>

A 'wired" connection will always be more reliable than "wireless" so any computers close enough to the router should be connected by ethernet cable. Only use "wireless" for remote computers.

<<< Are usb dongles any good how do they compare with normall wireless cards? >>>

USB 802.11g adapters are fine, but if using a USB 1.1 port, their speed is restricted by the 12Mbps speed of USB 1.1. To utilise their full potential, they require a USB 2.0 port (which supports 480Mbps). This isn't significant for the relatively slow speed (in networking terms) of broadband connections, but is noticeable for large file transfers between computers.

Skills 17:37 19 Dec 05

I have a netgear router and am impressed with it so far. Currently they are selling bundles that has everything you need in the box. The one I purchased came with network cable a wireless dongle router with adsl modem built in and it has good security features.

Ok so you have an ADSL broadband connection yes? You'll want to get a wireless router with a built in ADSL modem. The network cards do not have to be the same make as the router at all.

Th best connection speed with a 802.11g card is 54Mbps so given that most net connections are only 2Mbps thats more than enough speed for surfing. If you go for the router that supports 108Mbps then transferring files will be alot quicker but you will need to either use the dongle that supports those speeds or get a card that supports them. As 802.11g is the fastest standard currently all the quicker wireless speeds are actual implementations from specific manufacturers so at this point if you go for a router that supports 108Mbps then you will most likely need to get there dongle or wireless card that supports there standard.

As for setting it up then yes I would have 1 desktop pc connected to the router via a wire so you can get everything setup and configured. The laptop can connect wirelessly as can the other desktop in your house or if you wish you could connect the second desktop with a cable its up to you. A cable connection is less likely to have interferance problems and will most likely achieve better connection speeds. But unless you are going to be swapping large files its not an issue.

As for what wireless speeds you will actually get alot depends on your surroundings as well thickness of walls and the like.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…