NEC DVD RW ND-3500AG failed burn.

Mick54 15:11 01 May 08

I have a P4 cpu running at 2.4Ghz, a Sony dvd rom drive and an NEC DVD RW ND3500AG. I use ashampoo burning studio 2007 and Santa version 3.4 and DVD Fab Platinum for my disc burning. The NEC DVD was originally built into my old system but the mobo blew and I had to have a new pc built. I had no problems with burning on my old system and hardly ever had a burn failure. I use Imation cd-r when needed and an unbranded dvd-r ( x2 speed) for larger files. On the new system I have to use the slowest burn speed possible to achieve any kind of success and even then time after time I get the " media error try another brand of disc ". Sorry but I cannot remember the exact wording. I have looked on Google and it appears that other people have had the same problem but the answers are not always the same. One solution is to "flash" the firmware but it looks very risky and could damage the drive. Would it save me time and trouble to simply get a new DVD rw burner or will I have the same problem. Thanx Mick..

beeuuem 15:31 01 May 08

There is always a small risk in flashing a drive but it is a only small risk. If you download the firmware from the NEC site and follow the instructions the risk is minimal.click here
Which version of firmware do you have?

Mick54 15:43 01 May 08

I do not know which firmware version I have installed. I will try an upgrade and let you know the outcome. Thanx mick

eedcam 18:31 01 May 08

Download Imgburn its free and apart form being a great burner will tell you what your firmaware is and search for updates Ihave the same drive and its V2.88
click here

Mick54 17:59 05 May 08

Hello eedcam, I already had firmware v 2.1a but I re flashed it just in case there were any corrupt files on my pc. Worked ok for two days but today ( 5-5-2008) had two burn failures using Ashampoo burning studio 7. I have downloaded Imgburn. Will install and let you know of progress. Thanx Mick.

eedcam 18:18 05 May 08

Ok and check the log on imgburn should the burn fail

Mick54 13:07 02 Jun 08

Hello I decided to get a new drive and opted for an LG Super Multi. Everything is now perfect and working ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos