NAV scanning...

nick_j007 10:25 13 Aug 03

Is a weekly scan of my PC sufficient? It seems as though a few worms,viruses etc are doing the rounds at the moment, and I had a feeling that leaving such a thing on my system for a week is too long.
How often do the 'techies' scan theirs? I'm on BB and leave it on all the time now. I do use XP's built in fire wall.

Many thanks, have a good day.

Nick Jones

Ben Avery 10:42 13 Aug 03

Set up the software to run Live Update in the background and you will be fine running a PC scan once a week.

The important thing is not the PC scan but keeping the definitions up to date (Live Update).

This can also be set so that as soon as you go online (or turn on PC with broadband) LU will automatically check while you work/browse and download and install them all for you without you needing to worry.

BA

nick_j007 10:49 13 Aug 03

Yes, of course, I see what you mean; providing I have the latest definitions, they would be picked up at the very moment they were coming in to me via email etc.
I have LU switched on but can I adjust the frequency at which my system updates...I can't see any adjustments available...or are you suggesting a scheduled task here?

Nick

Ben Avery 10:57 13 Aug 03

As a general rule, Symantec issue new virus definition every Wednesday evening so your PC will likely update every Wednesday evening or Thursday morning. However, they have the sense to issue early virus definition if a new virus (like the recent couple) are likely to infect your PC.

I have allowed LU to run in the background for a few years now and I've never caught a virus with my weekly scan as the definitions have always automatically installed before I've seen any infected emails (and working for a recruitment company with 100's of emailed CV's each week, I've been sent a few!).

Of course, nobody can ever be TOTALLY safe as it's possible (but highly unlikely) to receive a virus before somewhere like the United States where a solutiopn is quickly created and definitions sent out - that's what our virus software money pays for after all!

However, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. As long as LU is set up to run automatically it is always checking for you.

BA

nick_j007 11:05 13 Aug 03

Ok Ben all is becoming more clear.
Under my scheduled tasks list there is a live update listing...is that NAV making that entry or mine and I have forgotten? (sorry to sound so stupid).
Otherwise, seeing that NAV has auto.update switched on in its own control panel (system tray icon) that is sufficient yes?

Thanks again.

Nick

livewire 11:49 13 Aug 03

I barely scan for viruses every month. I live up-date evry week.

Ben Avery 16:08 13 Aug 03

Yes this is sufficient.

Go into Options and select "LiveUpdate"

Tick the box which say's something like "Apply updates without interupting me" if it isn't already.

Take any worry you had and place in in a large black refuse sack and breathe a sigh of relief.

You are ass safe as you need to be - well as long as you keep your windows security patches ok anyway!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…