NAV 2005 vers SP2 Firewall

owls 22:08 28 May 05

Norton Antivirus 2005 provides ‘Worm Protection’ which it describes as: ‘a firewall that protects from incoming internet traffic’. Norton recommend that with this enabled the SP2 firewall should be disabled. This despite the fact that Norton admit, as I find in practice, that the two firewalls run happily together without conflict.
Are Norton right? Is ‘Worm Protection’ better than the SP2 firewall? Are both together better than either, or worse than both?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:18 28 May 05

SP2 firewall is better than nothing

Norton is better than SP2 firewall although it is costly, a resource hog and known to conflict with just about anything.

Free good protection:

firewalls Sygate click here
ZoneAlarm click here

Antivirus
Avast4 click here
AVG antivirus click here

Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
MSoftAntispy Beta click here

Technotiger 22:19 28 May 05

Hi, just a personal opinion, but I would ditch Norton - seen too many problems on this Forum. I use Kerio Firewall click here free edition.
If you decide to use Kerio please note that for the first 30days you get a Full Version, at the end of which, you can either buy or continue to use, but then it will revert to the Free Version -which is perfectly ok anyway.

If/when you start using Kerio, XP Firewall will automatically close itself down. This is perfectly ok.

I would also recommend AVG Free and Ad-AwareSE also free.

Cheers.

Number 7 22:26 28 May 05

I use NIS 2005 and I've never had a problem with it.

As Fruit Bat /\0/\ says, the Norton Firewall is better than the Windows Firewall- I've turned off the Windows Firewall.

Pooke100 23:11 28 May 05

agree with Fruit Bat /\0/\ 120%

Gaz 25 11:26 29 May 05

click here

Running on my server, just lets put it this way... many attempted hacks - none caused infriltation on my network. Works a treat, and hey.. it's Free. Paid for version is much more useful for filtering trojans and webadverts, etc.

Good luck!

Gaz 25 11:29 29 May 05

Dont use both windows and a third party firewall, or your asking for a slow internet connection, and reduced filtering accuracy. This can affect system security due to the way TCP/IP stacks and LSP layers are added by different firewalls - two can conflict.

I suggest for a firewall, Agnitum.

For antivirus, if you want free then Avast. Paid for, then Panda isn't bad (can be res hog at times) but NOD32 has always been fine on my server.

;-)

owls 22:05 30 May 05

Thank you for all your help. I have now disabled SP2 firewall and rely on NAV 2005 'Worm Protection' and it works fine, but then again I am very careful with what I do when connected to the Internet!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…