NASTY ENTRY IN ADD?REMOV

velodrome 11:49 28 Feb 03

A new entry has appeared in "my computer-control panel - add/remove programmes". The entry is Live.Online.Porta l. When I click to remove it tries to access the internet. I have zonalarm installed and when I disallow the connection (a different temp file number appears each time it tries to connect) a box appears as follows:- "to verify you are human and not a computer script please type the digits above in the following order. fifth fifth third seventh." There are 7 digits listed, 64 856 32 There are 2 boxes on the page: 1. enter your answer here 2. uninstall Obviously I am scared of either entering the numbers or clicking uninstall. I cannot remove the entry from remove/add programmes, or delete the temp file number given each time. I have Norton Anti-virus 2003 installed, and auto protect enabled and running a check shows my machine to be clear of any virus Can anyone help please.

woodchip 11:59 28 Feb 03

To remove follow these step's closely, go to start\find\files or folders type in the box Live.Online.Porta l click enter key delete all the entry's it finds with Live.Online.Porta l in it. Next go to start run type regedit and press enter, go to menu under edit click find in the box type Live.Online.Porta l and press enter it will bring up only one entry at a time, press delete key then click ok to confirm to go to next entry press F3 and delete do this until you get to the end of the registry. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE IN THE REGISTRY other than Live.Online.Porta l then reboot your computer

velodrome 12:30 28 Feb 03

Thanks Woodchip.

When I go to start\find\files or folders and type in box "Live.Online.Porta l" and click "find now"
I get the message "number of files exceeds maximum allowed" and the figure is shown is 1000.
I am running windows 98SE.

Is that porta L or porta 1

xtreme_computing 12:39 28 Feb 03

clear your temp files aswell, also your temp internet files

velodrome 13:46 28 Feb 03

I have now managed to clear the entry.
Thanks to all who helped.
Presumably this is a virus, but how did it get past Norton 2003 where all the definitions are
up to date

woodchip 20:29 28 Feb 03

Sorry just got back on, Go strait to Regedit and follow the instructions above leave the rest until after. Be back on about 9.00PM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…