NAS Drive & External Hard Drive

wee eddie 15:14 21 May 15
Answered

I know that a NAS Drive has a small Computer built into it.

If you have a NAS Drive and an External Hard Drive attached to a Network which included a PC and a Laptop. What, in operational terms, is the difference between storage on them?

As far as I can understand, files stored on either are available, throughout the network, what else?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:05 21 May 15

External drive needs the home PC its plugged into switched on

Nas drive is connected direct to the router and therefore the data is available from anywhere with an internet connection without the home PC switched on

wee eddie 17:32 21 May 15

So, if the "Home" PC is switched on, there is little difference.

I have seen NAS Drives with consumptions of as low as 13 watts but some as high as 40 watts, so running the PC throughout the period of use is fairly low cost compared to a £300 setup

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:19 21 May 15
Answer

If the drive is powered you can connect to a USB port on the router "map the drive) on all the PCs on the network and it will be available to any pc / phone / tablet / networked PVR / smart TV on the network. I have done this OK, can watch films / music on the drive on my TV(via humax box) tablet and laptop anywhere in the house and garden.

but cannot access it via the internet - that is probably why a NAS is needed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced