Narrow my choice for small digi-camera please?

Diemmess 15:04 07 May 08

An aging Olympus C900 has now failed to switch on or responded to some delicate surgery.

This was handed on to my wife who liked it for its sheer simplicity. (1.3 megapixels but made good album prints)

Can I have opinions on what to buy for her, the following factors are important?

Must have, in order of preference:

Small pocketable size.
Optical viewfinder (Very important)
Shortest possible shutter delay
Good 'Name' make of lens!
Image stabilization
3X or more optical zoom
Largely automatic setting, too many menus will score 'nil point'

At one time thought the Olympus ยต series was good, but I like the idea of a Canon or Fuji if anyone knows of a model which fits my wish list.

Where to buy is not a problem, WHAT to buy - is.

amonra 16:06 07 May 08

I and my wife have a Canon SD1000 (Ixus 70 in UK)
and we both find it easy to use, excellent results and very "pocketable". It has an optical viewfinder, although not brilliant, does the job. I have been most impressed with the large 2.5 inch screen which is viewable even in strong sunlight. Battery life is good, haven't run out mid shoot !
If you are thinking of buying one, seriously think of buying from the US, half the price over there !!! Good luck.

FatboySlim71 16:48 07 May 08

Ive got a Canon Ixus 950IS and I find it an excellent little camera, very compact and easy to slip in your pocket, image stabilisation, excellent image quality.

click here

Diemmess 10:22 08 May 08

That is 2 votes for IXUS (and thank you very much for staying with my parameters)

Any FUGI fans out there?

N.B. there must be an optical viewfinder on any recommended camera.

Stuartli 10:49 08 May 08

Many of the Canon models, as mentioned, have both image stabilistion and an optical viewfinder; cost generally varies according to optical zoom range and minor features.

However, these are being phased out with the arrival of the latest Powershot models. see:

click here

An example of the earlier cameras:

click here

You may still find the Powershot 720IS (6x zoom) around for a keen price.

The youngest offspring has the 710 IS (Image Stabilisation) and it's a cracker of a camera (7.1MB).

golfpro 15:14 08 May 08

Whatever you buy today will be upgraded tomorrow. Sony seem to be the one's with the best lenses and configuration.

Diemmess 15:54 08 May 08

Becoming more and more interested in the Canon IXUS

compumac 16:00 08 May 08

Have a look at the Fuji 920. I recommended to my daughter as it is fully automatic and she is delighted with it.

Diemmess 16:01 08 May 08

...... or Powershot range.
Stuartli do you mean that IXUS is being displaced by Powershot?
Physical size is important as I said, it has to be pocketable.

Can anyone give me a link to fuller details (and dimensions) of either camera range?

golfpro - Sorry, I'm not friends with SONY. (Unprovable prejudice)

Diemmess 16:08 08 May 08

compumac thanks, certainly small, dimensions given on the site I stared at, but no optical viewfinder? That is a MUST.

sean-278262 16:09 08 May 08

More on a tried and tested base in the past I would tend to go for Fuji or Canon in the small and compact range. Polaroid still do some cameras and from experience they work a charm. If you are going to get a camera from anywhere I would aim for Argos as if it goes you just take it back with no issues.

Personally have used all 3 in various stages over the past 10 or so years and all have been good little snappers. Sony as said I have never used one that I have owned but borrowed a few and I have to say while nice the camera was expensive compared to the likes of Fuji and Canon who have been in the camera market for like forever.

Be sure to go to somewhere like jessops etc to take the camera on a test drive before you buy. That way you will get to see if you like the optics and controls. Nothing worse than a good camera that is a pig to use. At the end of the day you dont have to take the one at jessops and it is a good abuse of their try before you buy service.

Be sure to have a google for known problems with the camera you are planning to buy first as you dont want to get it home to realise it has lots of annoying issues.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…