Naming cells in Excel

Nosmas 09:42 23 Jan 05

Using Office 97 Excel I have been trying to name a cell as "A&LRate1" (without the quotes), by typing that name in the name box to the left of the formula bar, but get the message 'You must enter a valid reference you want to go to, or type a valid name for the selection'.

I feel the error message may be caused by the inclusion of the ampersand, but neither Excel Help nor a book on Excel indicate that character as invalid. In fact the naming rules simply state that the first character must be a letter or underscore character. Remaining characters can be letters, numbers, periods or underscore characters.

Any thoughts please as to why my chosen name is unacceptable?

VoG II 10:44 23 Jan 05

& is nor an acceptable character.

You can only use letters, numbers, _ and .

Nosmas 11:25 23 Jan 05

Thanks. Thought that might be the reason, but why on earth don't Microsoft mention it in the Help file (nor in my Que book on Excel)? Not very helpful!

VoG II 11:27 23 Jan 05

"Remaining characters can be letters, numbers, periods or underscore characters."

& does not fit in those categories.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…