Names of POP3 and STMP servers for email?

katrina.oconnor.568 12:15 04 Apr 05

I've recently purchased a new laptop which came enabled with a wireless LAN thingy (sorry to be so tenchincal :P)

I have a wireless ADSL modem from my previous laptop. When I turned everything on, my new computer recognised my wireless network, and because I had the key, I could use the internet straight away (previous computer needed software installing and the use of a PC card)... however when trying to set up my email although Outlook express recognised my email address, it asked me for the names of the POP3 and STMP(?) servers used for the incoming and outgoing emails. Is there anyway I can find these out, or should I install the software provided by my ISP?

geekygirl 12:17 04 Apr 05

Depends on your ISP. Mine for instance is pop.freeserve.com and smtp.freeserve.com. It'll be something like that depending on the ISP

pj123 12:17 04 Apr 05

Who is your ISP? I have a few pop3 addresses.

katrina.oconnor.568 12:21 04 Apr 05

My ISP is Bluewin (I live in Switzerland) - just to make things a little more difficult

Kate B 12:39 04 Apr 05

I found this on your isp's website:
click here

that will talk you through setting up whichever mail programme you use. I picked the French page rather than German or Italian but whichever language you prefer, I found it via the help link on the home page.

PsiFox 12:40 04 Apr 05

If you have the old machine you can export your mail account settings from OE.

PsiFox

pj123 14:26 04 Apr 05

Sorry, don't have that one on my list. I always find it is best to start with:

pop.xxxxxxxx.xxx (whatever your ISPs address is, maybe bluewin.ch)

and

smtp.xxxxxxx.xxx (again same as above)

Note: it is smtp not stmp.

If that doesn't work try:

mail.xxxxxxxx.xxxx for both.

SEASHANTY 14:33 04 Apr 05

Yep SMTP
click here

Kate B 18:32 04 Apr 05

sorted KOConnor?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…