In the name of silence or reasonable quiet

Diemmess 16:29 11 Sep 07

A four month old mid-range factory built computer.

Functions exactly as it should, but ignoring the sound advice "If it aint broke don't fix it" i would like it to sound less like a collection of busy fans, which it has!
I am prepared to spend some more and replace the PSU, CPU's fan and even the case fan.

The video card fan seems blameless, stalling for one moment doesn't change the rushing noise.

The PSU is probably the most justifiable replacement. It is a bog standard ATX of 300w.

I wonder if click here will do the trick. (5th down the list) the 435W job)?

The case fan is a standard affair drawing warm air and pushing it out of the back. It is possibly an 8cm fan (approx 7cm between screws) and draws its power from the mobo.
Probably not contributing much windrush but suggestions welcome?

The CPU fan sits naked on a sort of 4 legged gantry over a very elaborate dome of fine fins and Intel trade mark. Doesn't seem responsible for much noise, but again, any comments.

monsta1976 16:35 11 Sep 07

are you positive it aint the graphics cooler as mines noisy as hell!

you could always invest in some heat pipes that will cut out most of the noise!

I am Spartacus 16:41 11 Sep 07

Quiet fans and other components from QuietPC click here

I've bought a few items from them and would particularly recommend Xilence Red Wings, not silent but they are quiet with a good airflow.

They also stock quiet PSUs.

Brad G 16:50 11 Sep 07

theres a total of 10 fans in mine lol... 7 built in to the case.... but its quiet as hell. all thermaltake :)

citadel 17:28 11 Sep 07

the psu you picked should be a lot quieter. I would get that first and see the difference

IntoPCs 17:41 11 Sep 07

I would go for the one 13th down on the page you linked to - it has reviews that indicate it is a quiet PSU - no reviews of the one you picked.
But can you believe the reviews? ;-)

Diemmess 17:55 11 Sep 07

monsta1976
Yes I'm sure the video fan isn't to blame.
I stopped it with my fan-stopping finger and wondered whether it had started again because I could hear no difference.
Stopping it again reasured me!!
Much the same with the Intel CPU fan

I am Spartacus
A really helpful link except that even my spendthift attitude baulks at >£100+ for a PSU.
I want quiet but not that much!
Their case fans make me think of an Acoustifan for the case fan.

Brad G
Your comment about the Novatech site has made me change my selection to the Thermaltake 420w job ebven though Live chat with a tech rep this am offered the Hiper

IntoPCs
Great? minds think alike

One fresh question:
The size of a case fan is the measurement of the unit across either of the parallel sides?
It doesn't refer to the screw spacing?

DWANE PYPE 22:03 11 Sep 07

Go to page 3 take a look at the Thermaltake TR2-470W, its only a couple of pounds more, I got one a couple of weeks ago, for the same reason as you, it's quiet, the cables are all sleeved, and there are plenty of them, it's got a 120mm fan.

It also gets 5*.

Regards,
DP,

Diemmess 16:55 13 Sep 07

The Thermaltake PSU arrived this luchtime, and from QuietPC so did the Acoustifan.

Fitted them and almost put fingers in ears and screwed up my face as I switched on.
(well you never know!)

Subjectively, and just guessing I would say 75% of the noise has gone.

Probably the video card fan is next to be "improved" but I can settle now for what I have, It is nearly as quiet as many a laptop.

Thanks again for a lot of sensible help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…