A naive question? Getting on search engines with d

ligeti 14:04 17 Sep 04

Hi, this may sound a bit naive but...
I am doing some webdesign and have hosted and (standard)submitted my website. Now some months later my website has shown up on Google but only the url, that is there is no description of my service underneath the url and no text content from my pages. Is this because these days you have to pay submittal companies or search engines themselves to get listed with any sort of description or have i missed something out of my coding? Please help as I am getting one or two clients now and naturally want to get their sites submitted with descriptions of their business's included.
Thanks Ligeti.

Simon_P 02:13 18 Sep 04

Please give the web address

What html editor are you using?

Have you got a page title for each page?

You should have some relevant text key words in the H1 as close to top of page as possible

And then a description in the body as high up on the page as possible.

Submit at least to the big guns, Google (done) Yahoo, MSN etc

Have a Google for “search engine submission”

ligeti 12:52 18 Sep 04

Hi Simon, thanks for your response.
Yeah I should have thought to include my web address, here it is: click here
I am useing Dreamweaver mx.
For the page title i am using "First Impressions Web Design" for each page. As far as I know I have included correctly(?) metaname descriptions and keywords.
I have submitted the site to as many search engines as I could find via thisisouryear.com search engine submitter. The only thing i hav'nt done is to include any H1 at all, this because of the page design.
I appreciatte your help with this matter and look forward to you response.
Regards
Ligeti

Simon_P 19:29 18 Sep 04

Unfortunately I don’t have any experience with Dreamweaver, so I can’t give you any advice on that. Is it flash based?

The page title apears to be ok

I know some maybe all search engines couldn’t read flash based web pages, I don’t know if this is still the case.

Maybe it is possible to put H1 text in the white space between the gif banner and the body text!
However if engines can’t read it, it wont make any difference.

As the banner is an image it can’t be read anyway so you could either make it text or repeat it in the H1 text.

I expect that someone that has experience with Dreamweaver will offer their advice when they see this, bear in mind that it is the weekend so there may not be anyone here that knows the answer at the moment.

ligeti 20:30 18 Sep 04

Hi, thanks for your time and replies.

No, I don't use any flash on my websites.

I'm not concerned so much about getting listed, I realise that most traffic comes from offline promotion, what really concerns me is that when my sites show up on google etc that there is no text of any sort below the url/link.

As you have seen i have not been using H1 because of the design I wanted. Do you think that putting a H1 title/text at the top of my page in white and on a white background would work? This so as not to spoil the design, or does the text need to be seen - or am I being stupid??

I have been looking for solutions in other threads but as yet have not been succesful.
Cheers Ligeti

Simon_P 02:53 21 Sep 04

I have only seen one site that does it, and their rankings don't seem to be effected, but I think it is probably a bad idea!

Some info
click here
Dont know how up to date it is

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5