Nags on shutdown

wetterfugal © 16:09 23 Feb 05

I am using XP pro and AOL ISP
I used to be able to shutdown and leave the computer to switch off without problems but for a

year or more now when I shutdown the are sometimes two, sometimes three notices saying

that such and such is closing down with an option of ending now and losing all unsaved items

or leaving it for about 20 seconds to close by itself. The notices vary from time to time and do

not seem to be related to programs that I know. the only one that I do recognise is AOL Dial.

If I click "End Now" it brings up the next the eventually closes down. It is just a small nag but I

would really like to shut down and forget it.
I always close all programs that are in use before I shut down'

LeadingMNMs 16:15 23 Feb 05

Do a full scan for viruses and then use something like Ad-aware click here to do a check for Adware. If the problems continue then make a note of the actually problematic files and post them on here.

wetterfugal © 19:59 23 Feb 05

There was only one nag when I shut down this time which was as follows:-

"TRdww: C\ PROGRA~1...\Commom~1...\AOL\..."
Tracing this I get:-
C\PROGRAM FILES\Common Files\AOLthe ... would indicate that there are a number of folders after this, which there are. one of which is "AOL Dialler" The AOL Dialler is supposed to give direct access to the internet without firing up the AOL browser. I am using broadband and do not use diallup. I am told not to delete the dialler.

The AOL Dial did not nag this time but it is in the above AOL folder.

There are other nags that appear at random. I will post them when they do. If you could guide me on the first one I could perhaps deal with others.

I have SpyBot and Adaware which I use regularly and I also have McAfee Security Sweet, Virus and Firewall, supplied free by AOL. AOL also scans for spyware every night at 10PM

Regards, Vic.

wetterfugal © 13:27 24 Feb 05

Bump

wetterfugal © 09:20 01 Mar 05

bump

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:12 01 Mar 05

You don't say what operating system your'e using if XP then

Shutdown problems click here
click here
click here

wetterfugal © 23:58 01 Mar 05

It looks as though PC Stats has the answer, thank you, Regards,

Vic.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…