Mystery user account

Gosford 01:13 07 Jul 03

I have win xp home and have just been looking at my user accounts and I have an account called asp.net machine a... I have not created this account and it does not appear on the welcome screen when the computer stats up. Should I delete this account or is it there for some special reason?

-pops- 05:45 07 Jul 03

There are a large number of Google entries on this, one being click here

Have a search of Google as well to check if other things fit better.

Brian

wawadave 06:09 07 Jul 03

The aspnet_wp or ASP.NET Machine Account is created when the Microsoft .Net Framework 1.1 is installed onto a Windows XP computer. The user is created for the asp.net worker process used in Microsoft's Internet Information Services to fully support ASP.net on your web server. There is not a need to worry about this users presence, it was not created in malicious way.

ASP.net is a programming framework built on the common language runtime (Microsoft .net framework) that can be used on a server to build powerful Web applications. For more information on ASP.net see here

Why does it need another User Account?

Another user account is created for the ASP. Net Worker Process (Aspnet_wp.exe) so that it is not running with administrator privileges. This helps to increase security because if there was a breach the worker process is running as a lowly restricted user rather than having administrator privileges on the local machine.

Gosford 18:11 07 Jul 03

Thanks for your help, I will stop worrying about it now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…