Mystery tilde file appearing on desktop?

Roadgiant 22:24 31 May 03

Every so often a file seems to mysteriously appear on my desktop,the file is 220kb in size with a description of  (a tilde mark I think it is called.
It seems to appear usually when the pc has been left unattended for a while and the monitor is woken from standby.
Has anyone any idea what is causing this and if I need to prevent it? At the moment all I do is delete it.
Thanks in advance for any advice

powerless 22:26 31 May 03

Yes, it has been mentioned on here before - Its (so we think) to do with the Windows address book.

If you right click and choose open with... choose Notepad and might see email addressses.

Also i had this file appear (again) 20 mins ago. But i zapped it ;-)

powerless 22:27 31 May 03

~ tilde

Roadgiant 23:08 31 May 03

Thanks for the prompt reply

-pops- 06:40 01 Jun 03

Most definitely address book. I put three addresses then another two in the book yesterday. The appropriate number of ~ files appeared.

I just deleted thenm all with no problem.

hoverman 08:22 01 Jun 03

Same here - seems one of these files appears every time a change is made to the address book. They can be deleted safely.

Confab 08:43 01 Jun 03

Just added a name to my address book and guess what appeared on my desktop? Yes a tilde!

nigwel 08:59 01 Jun 03

That "~" (tilde) file is most probably appearing as the result of installing the "April 2003, Cumulative Patch for Outlook Express (330994)". Microsoft is aware of the problem and is supposedly working on a fix. Many people are experiencing this problem and from what I've read about this problem that icon will also reappear when you reply to an e-mail and you have your Outlook Express set up to enter the persons e-mail address to your address book whenever you reply to an e-mail. You can either just put up with it or follow the uninstall directions for the patch at the link below.

See Here.. click here

hoverman 09:03 01 Jun 03

Strange how the tilde files appear in C:/Documents and Settings/'My name' folder on my PC. Everyone else seem to get them on the desktop. My OS is XP Home.

powerless 09:12 01 Jun 03

I get one on the desktop and also that folder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…