Mystery re-boot

igr 15:27 16 Dec 04

My computer has developed a mystery reboot about 2 or 3 times a day. Any thoughts?

PC Chips M848A 2.1 mobo, 3200XP cpu, PC3200 DDR, ATI Radeon 9200SE 128mb, and ZyXEL modem router.

Resident Software: Avast 4 anti virus, Spywareblaster

rawprawn 15:37 16 Dec 04

Download and run AdAware click here also turn System Restore off and reboot, then run Adaware then turn system restore back on.

igr 16:14 16 Dec 04

Thanks rawprawn - any thoughts what to do for W2K?

rawprawn 17:11 16 Dec 04

If W2K doesn't have a system restore, then you will be OK. It is just that nasties can hide in system restore. I'm sorry I don't know much aboutW2K.You could also download aclick here run this Update both before you run them, they are good to keep and run every few days.

igr 18:21 16 Dec 04

I wondered if the problem was caused by my ATI graphics card. I don't do games etc so have left out the AGP drivers. So I thought I would load the AGP drivers from the Motherboard set-up disk. Lo and behold AVAST kicked in and said 'don't Panic' or something like that. There is a Virus on board. It was a W32 Trojan-gen (delphi) which identified a file in the start menu as infected (reboot.exe).

After placing the identified virus in the Virus Chest I ran a virus check on the Motherboard start-up cd. Yes!, there was the alleged virus. It is a poor show if the manufacturers are releasing dodgy set-up disks - or is AVAST giving me a false reading?

Anyway, waiting for the first mystery re-boot since the virus has been dealt with.

Jak_1 20:40 16 Dec 04

Doubtfull that a manufacturers setup disk has a virus but could happen, unusual for a trojan to cause a re-boot as they want a pc running continuously to complete their tasks. The Blaster virus is well known for causing re-boots, suggest on online scan from click here to rule this out or confirm it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…