//some 3rd party need geo

Mystery programme running in Win ME

pcc 00:26 15 Feb 03

When I press ctrl-alt-del to view programmes that are currently running there is one shown as follows: {DF4DDE1-F540-11D2-9540-0040052FC4F9}
This does not appear in msconfig-startup.
What is it and how can I remove it if not required ?

Philip2 10:46 15 Feb 03

Sorry this will be no help i run Windows ME on my back up computer but i am unable to find any info on this file or on any file search on my computer if you want to get rid of it you will have to format your HD and reinstall your OS as i do not think system restore would work in this case.

leedaz 10:53 15 Feb 03

pcc Have you tried 'Spybot Search and destroy'? ..It's on recent PCA cover disc 2.(Top 60 tools for '03)

Wes Tam ;-) 11:09 15 Feb 03

It looks like something from your 'Temp' folder.

Find it in Windows Explorer, and if it's there you can delete it (to the recycle bin, so you can put it back if you have any follow-up problems).

alB 11:20 15 Feb 03

Before you do anything as drastic as reformatting your HD try first closing the programme using ctrl-alt-del, highlight it and click "end task", see if any of your applications have stoppped working properly then at least you will know if it's meant to be there or not. Do you know how long this has been on your PC for? and have you been downloading anything from the net, it's possible that it could be a dialler programme. leedaz suggestion is worth looking at as is AdAware from Lavasoft also you could try jv16 power tools from click here to help you identify what it might be...alB

alB 11:22 15 Feb 03

The link for AdAware...click here

pcc 21:25 18 Feb 03

Thanks alB and others for your advice. I now find that the 'mystery program' is in fact my visioneer scanner, though why it should suddenly start to identify itself in this way i am not sure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…