mystery problem with screen

Smokeyone 17:20 01 Oct 09

Almost a year ago I replaced my graphics card with a ATI Radeon HD 3400. All was well until a couple of weeks ago when my screen shut down - not the pc that kept on working. Tried all sorts of things, fiddled changed leads, re started several times and although I could hear windows music no screen. Gave up, made coffee, went back two hours later and all well again except I am almost certain that the screen resolution was slightly different but not sure.

Sorry to go on but the same thing happened again today. The screen is now working except it has a flicker. Checked monitor by plugging into laptop and all is fine. Could it be the graphics card or maybe the psu.
Any ideas please.

Mainboard : Asus Puffer
Chipset : Intel i915G
Processor : Intel Pentium 4 550 @ 3400 MHz
Physical Memory : 3072 MB
Video Card : ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series
Hard Disk : WDC (160 GB)

Monitor Type : Samsung SyncMaster - 21 inches

Operating System : Windows Vista (

Technotiger 18:08 01 Oct 09

Right-click on Desktop then go to Properties>Settings check your Resolution, then click on Advanced>Monitor and check Screen refresh rate is 60 Hertz.

ambra4 05:08 02 Oct 09

Have you tried the Auto-Adjustment function button on the monitor?

Smokeyone 09:07 02 Oct 09

Thanks for the replies. Refresh rate is already 60 Herts but will investigate auto adjustment function.
I know you are not going to believe this but when I just switched on my pc my homepage has changed all by itself - from google to jeeves !!

ambra4 11:33 02 Oct 09

That can happen if you use IE

Download SpywareBlaster and keep it updated

click here

SpywareBlaster is a prevention program, unlike most anti-spyware programs which utilize a
"Removal" approach after your system is already infected.

SpywareBlaster effectively prevents ActiveX-based spyware, dialers, browser-hijackers and
other Malware or potentially unwanted programs from ever installing on your system in the first
place.

Go there is an option to tick, which will stop your home page from being hijackers

Smokeyone 14:13 02 Oct 09

Thanks very much for the tip.

Smokeyone 09:34 04 Oct 09

The screen flicker has been getting worse so early this morning I again did a google trying to solve the problem but all of a sudden the flickering stopped. Switched off pc and now back on line and of course the screen flicker has returned.
Has anyone had this experience.....

ambra4 11:30 04 Oct 09

It look like the display card is the problem

Stuartli 11:37 04 Oct 09

Try unseating and reseating the graphics card in its slot.

Smokeyone 06:26 05 Oct 09

Still no luck but thanks for the idea.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos