Mystery key

  learner 16:22 19 Jan 04

Could someone please tell me what is the key situated 2nd down on the left side of the keyboard does. I have been reading various computer magazines for four years now and I have never once seen it mentioned. I have asked several friends but no one seems to known its exact purpose.

The key I refer to has three characters or symbols on it as follows. ` and a 3rd.

What is the name of this key. How do you type the 3rd symbol.

Does each of the symbols have a name and if so what are they called.

As each of these symbols merit a place on the keyboard instead of the Character map what is their purpose and where and when would they be used.

Please someone satisfy my curiosity.

  hugh-265156 16:35 19 Jan 04

`¬ ¦ CTRL + ALT for third one.

not sure about the names of the keys.

  hugh-265156 16:55 19 Jan 04

character map tells me they are called:

¬ = U+00AC "not sign"

` = U+0060 "grave accent"

¦ = U+00A6 "broken bar"

what they are used for i have no idea.

  AndyJ 17:15 19 Jan 04

It's called a logical negation sign and as huggy says, is read as "not". More info click here

  tafoody 17:19 19 Jan 04

how come the 'broken bar' actually appears on the key left of Z, but when you try it, you get a solid line '|' which is what is displayed as the 'third function' of the key below escape?

if that makes any sense.

  Stuartli 17:51 19 Jan 04
  Stuartli 17:52 19 Jan 04
  Stuartli 17:54 19 Jan 04
  Chegs ® 18:38 19 Jan 04

Try click here to post that link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…