mystery icon in system tray

Cymro. 18:09 11 Sep 06

I have just noticed an icon in the system tray. It shows two monitors with a red cross through them. When I hover over the icon it says "Local Area Conection 2 A network cable is unplugged". When I click the icon I get the Network Connections screen. Everything seems to work perfectly so I don`t very much want to interfere with the settings. As far as I know I am not on any local area network, or am I?
I wonder if the icon was always there but hidden.

DieSse 18:12 11 Sep 06

It's probably from a FireWire 1394 connection.

Go into your Network Settings (in the Control Panel)- right click on the local area network icons, choose Properties, and untick the "show icon...." box

boybrown 18:22 11 Sep 06

Hi there,

I'm no expert but I think it's when XP recognises that your motherboard has an ethernet port on it. If you connect your computer through a USB port (which a lot of people do) then it flags that a network connection is unplugged. You can hide this if it bothers you by:-

right click in the system tray
click on "properties"
in the taksbar tab click "customise"
you then get a list of icons and when they are shown, you can then change the icon so that it is never shown.

Alternatively go to the "Start menu", then "control panel", "Network and internet connections""Network Connections" and disable the problematic network connection (make sure it's not the one that you use"

OR. Right click on "My Computer", then "properties", "hardware" tab, "Device manager" and look at the "Other Devices Tab" to see if the ethernet port is highlighted with an alert. as far as I know you could choose to disable, or even uninstall (I think the disable option may be better as then it's easy to enable if you want to use it in the future) and this also could rectify your problem.

Cheers

boybrown :o)

Cymro. 18:42 11 Sep 06

Sorry for the false alarm I now think the icon was always there just hidden. I am wireless connected so out of curiosity I have just plugged in the Ethernet cable and the icon then showed that I was connected. So it seems the purpose of the icon is to let me know if I am connected by cable or not. Sorry and thanks to all. It was rather obvious and I should have known.

Cymro. 18:43 11 Sep 06

I have now forgotten to klick the RESOLVED marker.
Must be old age etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac