Mystery Cable..

DANZIG 17:54 16 Feb 08

I bought Vista magazine from Sainsbury's as it had a free cable worth £19.99 with it. (I'm a sucker for those kind of things).

But what does it do??

Its quite long with each end having a USB plug on it. Is it used to link PC's and if so, to what end??

Clapton is God 17:58 16 Feb 08

What are each of the USB plugs - one male and one female?

It's probably exactly what it looks like - a USB cable to link some USB hardware to the PC - a modem for example

DANZIG 18:00 16 Feb 08

The plugs look exactly the same. In the middle of the cable is a grey box about an inch long and half an inch wide - it has the name 'laplink' on it. It also says USB 1.1

Clapton is God 18:08 16 Feb 08

Isn't there some explanation in the magazine?

Or try this click here

MCE2K5 18:13 16 Feb 08

Maybe it's for 'Windows Easy Transfer' click here

DANZIG 18:14 16 Feb 08

Theres nothing in the magazine (the bag the cable came in said it was 'exclusive to Sainsbury's' so it's quite likely nothing to do with the magazine, which incidentally I don't recommend.

Judging by what I've seen on that link you've sent me, it appears to be a data transfer cable or something.

Not tried it yet, but will do tomorrow.

Pineman100 18:15 16 Feb 08

...but I can't help laughing.

"I got a real bargain. I don't know what it does, but it was *free*!!"

Clapton is God 18:19 16 Feb 08

"'exclusive to Sainsbury's'"

That's it then.

Sainsbury's is a supermarket which sells food; so it's some kind of cooking gadget.

You've been had. ;-)

DANZIG 18:21 16 Feb 08

LOL - choker!!!

Daveboy 18:25 16 Feb 08

Free Laplink USB cable with Windows Vista Magazine. February edition

1° FOUND BY: Original Biggles 1 day, 22 hours ago

Off line at Asda ,Wal-Mart and Sainsburys only. Magazine price is £4.99

When you purchase this month's copy of Windows Vista Magazine at any Sainsbury's, ASDA, or Wal-Mart in the UK, you will receive a free Laplink USB 1.1 Cable, a full version of PCmover and PCsync from Laplink Software.

Laplink USB Transfer Cable

The Laplink USB Transfer Cable provides quick data transfer speeds of 5Mbps between two PCs with USB ports. Great device for transferring files between two PCs. Unlike other USB cables, Laplink cables include the necessary electronics to allow for the fastest peer-to-peer communication between two computers.

When paired with PCmover you can easily transfer files, settings, and applications from your old PC to your new PC.

DANZIG 18:27 16 Feb 08

Nice one.

Thanks for the help guys!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…